1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Updated: The Chevy Volt - clever, and it looks like they've hit the spot!

Discussion in 'General' started by Mother-Goose, 15 Aug 2008.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I think the prius uses the batteries up until 30mph (unless they are flat obviously) and then uses the engine above those speeds right? The Volt's motion will always be generated by electric motors and the engine is litterally for charging the batteries, so to put this right, I think GM have done it the right way, but we'll see soon enough! I know I could do my daily commute solely on a charge from the socket, in the summer at least, in the winter with the heaters on and the wipers going it maybe touch and go. In the UK, a 40 mile range should be enough for alot of people, not sure about the states though?

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Pretty cool :thumb:

do you think companies will start putting outlets outside for there employes car???

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Had a glance at the new Volt and it looks alright. Inconspicuous and clean outside. They could do better with shortening the wheelbase a bit. A bit too much like a Civic, though. I mean, how do they f*ck that one up?

Last edited: 20 Sep 2008
  4. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

For us it'll be the same ones people use for the block heaters. Assuming it's the standard 3 prong plugin

5. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Sometimes the commute to and from work is more a matter of time. During rush hour, even living 15-20 miles from your destination can take an hour. As such, people tend to live within that distance if at all possible. This car's range will be enough for many.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

So the Prius is a petrol-engined car that uses electric "booster" motors, but the Volt is an electric car that hauls around its own generator?

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Yes.

8. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

9. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

my eyes just died :(

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

OK, if not the Pinifarina (quoted performance is meh BTW - 250km range, top speed 130kph, 0-60kph in 6.3secs, 8 hour recharge)

Then how about the new Venturi Volage?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Oct 2008
Tags: