For awhile I wanted to move the clutter of our DSL modem, d-link switch and access point from my mom's computer area. Just because it's such a small space for anything. And I do plan on buying an a Cisco switch, router, and network rack so that I can brush up on Cisco IOS commands. Anyways the cabling in this house is pretty old. I tried looking for phone line that goes upstairs to our kitchen area where my mom's computer sits. Well, I was about to give up on that idea and just wait until tomorrow when I could borrow my college's telephone probe to find the cable. But than I got to thinking, why not just add another cable to the DSL network interface device? So I ran up to Walmart and got 50 feet of telephone cable and a modular jack to put up in my room. Here's the NID (network interface device) The white cable is the one I spliced in. And an interesting things about NIDs, there's two sections inside the box. The one that you see is the section that we're responsible for. The other side is the telephone company's responsibility. Anything that fails on their side is paid for. Anything that fails on our side we have to pay for. A close up of where I spliced in the cable You can see two regular phone jacks, the left one is where the main line from outside connects to, the right one is a piggy back for the phones. I found this out by simply connecting my modem directly to each jack. That's how I figured out where I needed to splice in my cable. Wiring up the modular jack that mounts onto my wall. I only need to use the red and green wire since that's all that is connected in the NID. Here it is mounted to my wall. I came up through the same hole that my cable television comes through for an even easier installation. An added benefit to this project was that it has helped my DSL speed quite a bit. I knew it would speed up my connection a little bit, but to my surprise I went from getting 900Kbps average to a 1400Kbps average download speed. For only about $15, Id' say this was a good investment.