1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade advice for my Q9550 system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superego, 29 Mar 2010.

1. superego

superego What's a Dremel?

First of all - hello! This isn't a completely new build. I'm looking for advice on what I should go for in terms of upgrading my existing system. I will edit this post a little later when I'm at home and can check the other components. It's not a system I built myself - I bought it at a local computer fair. If you guys need a budget in mind for making suggestions then I'll need to have a think - I'll only be buying one component to start with - whichever gives me the greatest performance boost for gaming (which I assume would be the graphics card).

Beyond a new GFX card, I'm looking to either extend the life of my system or possible scrap it altogether and get a new system and put the new card in it (alone or buy a system with the same card and run them in crossfire/SLI). A key question is whether or not my processor can last me much longer by overclocking it, or if I should consider a new mobo and go for i5 or i7. If overclocking is the way to go, would a new case/board be required? I'll let you see what I've got at the moment and I can answer any other questions or fill in any gaps when I';m back home later this evening (I don't know offhand what my case or PSU are).

Budget: Minimum of £320 (I've been looking at a Radeon HD 5870) but in total I can go higher over several months

Main uses of intended build: Gaming

Parts required: At the least, a new graphics card.

Previous build information (list details of parts):

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2/83GHz
    Memory: 4GB DDR2 RAM (will update with the speed later)
    Motherboard: Asus PK5PL-C/1600
    GFX: nVidia 9600GT 1024MB
    Monitor: Dell SP2309W
    HDD: 1TB SATA
    Case: ATRIX 9006-C4 Black Midi
    PSU: 520W

Monitor resolution: 2048 x 1152

Storage requirements:Nothing specific. I'm not really interested in SSD's at the moment

will you be overclocking: Most likely

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): I'd like the option of eventually having two graphics cards

Extra information about desired system: What I'm really after is recommendations of upgrades. For example - get a Radeon HD 5870 to replace the nVidia 9600GT and overclock the CPU to 3.4 - this will last you another 18 months, at which time you should consider a Core i7 system and another HD 5870 running in crossfire with the other one. or just go for a lighter card upgrade such as a 5850, and upgrade your processor now as well. I'm basically unsure of how capable my current CPU is.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2010
  2. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

The Q9550 is pretty good it's only a few hundred megahertz from being the best CPU you can put in an LGA775 motherboard, overclocking will soon sort that out. Upgrading to a 5870 would definitely give you the biggest boost in games compared to upgrading to i7 I would say, plus the upgrade path to i7 would require quite a bit more money than a few hundred quid as you would need a new motherboard, memory as well as the CPU, so you're nearly replacing all the kit by upgrading to i7 which would make buying the computer a bit pointless in the first place you should a just started a new build from scratch.

in summary, your CPU will perform great for gaming (especially after overclocking) your 9600 won't lol

3. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

+1 what j jay says. A good overclock on the cpu will increase your frame rate for free. Then just pop in the most powerful gfx card you can afford. It maybe worth holding off for the 2gb version of the 5870 i think BT have it in the labs. Should be reviewed shortly.

4. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

I would stick with the rig and as the above has said just upgrade the GPU. It should last you to the next round of CPUs in 2011. AMD will hopefully have bulldozer and intel will release sandybridge.

Whats your PSU, case and CPU cooler? If your PSU is gash you might need a new one. Your case may limit your cooler if you need a new one.

5. superego

superego What's a Dremel?

Case: ATRIX 9006-C4 Black Midi
    PSU: 520W

I think the CPU cooler is the stock one but I can't be sure about it. (as I said I never built it myself).

6. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

What brand and model number is the PSU? EDIT I think it may be the one that comes with the case and might need upgrading. If you can post the model and specs on the side it would help; does it have any PCIe power cables? It may be something to look into upgrading.

intel stock coolers look domish from what I know.... Not sure if they allow any headroom for an overclock.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not on a Core2Quad, I have the Q9450 @ 3.2GHz, and it gets to 72 C on my TRUE, toasty lil buggers. (I do have Noctua fans though, so that probably why its so warm.)

8. trig

trig god's little mistake

gpu and psu. go for a 5850/70 and an hx650 from corsair. maybe an hx850 since you hinted at multiple gpu's. though i am sure the 650 will suffice, unless you go gtx 480 down the road...lolz

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I don't think he's insane...

10. trig

trig god's little mistake

it's always the quite ones...:worried: