1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Uggers, 17 Sep 2010.

1. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading some of the things in my computer at the moment and I wasn't really sure if all my choices where the best idea.

Atm my machine is:

Intel Q9550
    Asus P5K-E
    XFX - GTX 260
    x2 2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 1066MHz

I've been mainly gaming on this system World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Steam Source Games, etc.

I would like to get a new graphics card I was thinking Gigabyte's 1gig GTX 460 and a SSD Drive, specifically Crucial's RealSSD C300 64GB. I was planning on only installing A Few games on the Drive and rotating them on and off when I wanted to change but Ideally leave installations of Warcraft/Starcraft on permanently.

My understanding as well, to get the best out of this drive I would want to get something like Asus's U3S6 card to go in the second PCI-E x16 slot.

After reading many posts and reviews I am fairly comfortable with the graphics card choice but I am open to any other suggestions. But It's the SSD part of my decision I am quite unsure of so any advice would be appreciated.

thanks in advance :D

2. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

to get the most out of a crucial SSD, you would need a Sata 6Gbps card, a good one goes for around £40 more, so it might be a better idea to go for a sandforce SSD (OCZ does good ones). I had a look on their website and the vertex series looks good. Its best if you give us a budget so we have a better idea of what youre looking for and how much youre willing to spend

3. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Sorry half asleep today :)

I thought the Asus U3S6 were 6gbs cards?

Well less is better to be honest upto £350 really for all

4. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

5. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

that SSD is great, my opinion is that you go for it.

ive heard its longer than a palit one. but thats it. Theres a dedicated thread to the Gigabyte 460 on here (should be on the 1st page), perhaps its best if you ask there?