1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade after 6 years!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crossy, 5 Jan 2014.

1. Crossy

Crossy What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Im looking for some upgrade advice as my PC is getting a bit long in the tooth now being 6 years old! Currently running a q6600 at stock 2.4ghz, 4gb of ddr2 corsair dominator ram, an amd hd4850 which is absolutely knackered and the main reason im looking to upgrade. Its all in a massive coolermaster stacker case which I wanna get rid of and downsize.

Ill be honest and say all I use the pc for is to store my music and for playing race sims. I dont play any other games other than rfactor on the pc really. Got a ps3 if I ever fancy a shoot up! This current PC now though is starting to struggle with rfactor 1 and I want to get rfactor 2 and I stand no chance of running it well at the moment.

So basically I want to build a nice little mATX system that will play rfactor2 ok. Im looking at the AMD FX series chips which seem powerful for the price they are. Ive always known Intel have been the superior brand but im not after anything to extravagant really, just a budget power system, if there is such thing! Looking specifically at the FX 4130. Remember ive been out the game for years so my hardware knowledge is very limited now! Could anyone perhaps recommend something else if theres something im missing?

This is the motherboard I was looking at. http://www.ebuyer.com/269072-asus-m...annel-hd-audio-matx-motherboard-m5a78l-m-usb3 Should do the job shouldnt it?

This brings me onto graphics! Amd or nvidia?! Looking to spend £170 ish on a card. Will pay more if need be. At the moment im only using a 22 inch monitor at 1680 x 1050 but will be looking at a 1440p upgrade in the spring I think.

Going to be building it in the coolermaster mini atx case they do. The shoebox style one!

Ive got a corsair 750w PSU non modular which should be up to the task still? Will probably have to check on power to gpu though as arent newer cards 8pin now?

Any advice or comments appreciated :) cheers

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Looks pretty good to me - you seem to be taking the right approach. Focusing the spend on the graphics card is the right thing to do seeing as most games are very GPU-bound. The only thing that I would point out on the CPU is to make sure it has good cooling as at 125W it might run quite hot! Motherboard and CPU both look like good choices.

Not sure on graphics, I'm a bit out of the loop as well at the moment if I'm honest. Perhaps check out the buyers guide on the Bit-Tech website.

750W would be more than enough - but as you say check that you have all the connectors that you need. Hopefully you should be able to re-use it and there are probably adaptors to use if necessary.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

That board is no good mate. You want the Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 Rev 4.1 as it has VRM cooling.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-GA...1&sr=8-1&keywords=Gigabyte+78LMT-USB3+Rev+4.1

I would also get the FX 6300

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FX6300-...e=UTF8&qid=1388936532&sr=8-2&keywords=fx+4100

Mostly because apps and games are becoming more and more threaded and quad core CPUs could well end up being left behind.

I was playing ID's RAGE last night and it was devouring all of the 8 cores my 8320 has.

4. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

5. AlienwareAndy

I would sort of, learn what you're talking about before you go giving out advice. The board you've recommended can not run a Piledriver without throttling.

As for the I3 beating the 8320? hahahahahahahaha x 1 million.

6. Crossy

Crossy What's a Dremel?

After initally writing my post I did a bit more reading on here and came across mr bungles post about that motherboard. It's in my basket along with the 6300 funnily enough lol

Yeah, the reason I had thought to go AMD is mainly due to price. I can afford to go Intel, but dont want to waste money by buying something thats going to be overkill and I was thinking the AMD will do exactly what im after for £100 quid less?

7. AlienwareAndy

Nice one :) Good thing is you can ask for his settings :)

Please don't let his link confuse you. It's completely and utterly loaded in favour of the Intel. Firstly it tests single threaded performance. Sadly it doesn't then move on to multi threaded performance.

The tests used in that link heavily favour Intel. I mean for example in all modern tests and games you'll find the 8320 beating the 4670k, let alone the cut down locked I3 example.

It's just trolling.

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

You ideally need the rev 5.0 of that gigabyte board, not the 4.1 :)

9. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I actually had the exact same conundrum from a very similar specced machine (Q6600, 4GB Ram, 9800GTX, CM Stacker 830) a few months ago...I went completely the opposite direction and went for a sexy laptop - the MSI GS70 Stealth.

I know this isn't what you were asking for but I thought I'd throw it out there - it's about £1500.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

If it's the PSU I'm thinking of, then I'm fairly confident it has multiple 8 pin connectors

http://www.corsair.com/tx750w.html

Probably not the best example to give tbh. While it may be able to take advantage of 8 cores/modules etc it really doesn't need to.

[​IMG]

Not that I'm saying less cores are better or anything, just think you should give a better example, don't you normally reference Crysis? :p

Last edited: 6 Jan 2014
  11. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Considering you can max out both games on a 570and a phenom2 550 you wouldn't have to spend alot. If it was me i would keep your cpu add a ssd and and buy something like a 7870. If that's the only game your going to play then they are not demanding

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Don't know about RF1 but RF2 does not like AMD cards, here's a compilation of some forum results.

[​IMG]

The game seems to run better on 12.11 instead of 13.11.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

R Factor is Nvidia all the way, Do not buy AMD cards expecting good performance as its not there to be had at this moment in time. ( Its not drivers its just that the cards do not like AMD Cards period)

The baby Fx you linked is slower than the CPU in your current pc. FX 6300 min + 760 GPU would be how Id go for R factor AMD build.

Maybe even the I3 route + 760. R factor is super GPU bound needs 2 cores max. ( Personally how id go)

If you do go AMD throw in a copy of Windows 8 in any upgrade plans as its required to get the max out of there current cpus. And you need the latest revision of any board that you buy to support the latest cpus. Rev 5.0 pref, 4.1 may not have the support you require. ( On the board that is been linked)

For best performance, CPU cooler Overclock to 3.2ghz, Nvidia 770. job done will play rfactor at max settings for the forseeable future if thats all you play.

14. AlienwareAndy

I was going back as far as I could. Nah the game doesn't really need to, but enable those mega textures and it starts to cost you :)