1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade AMD Phenom II 720 to Intel 2500K?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarkBanana, 24 Sep 2011.

1. DarkBanana

DarkBanana New Member

I was just wondering if it will be worth upgrading from the AMD Phenom II 720 to Intel 2500K.

Admittedly I don't need to upgrade but I kinda feel the upgrade bug. It has been 2 years since I've done anything to my computer after all :p so my current plan is:

Plan A
    Get the 2500K and a mATX motherboard. Keep all other components and in a couple of months time, get a SFF case. I've always wanted a SFF computer and I'll be moving house so a small computer would be really helpful.

Plan B
    Overclock the 720. I've applied a small overclock without increasing the voltage or changing the stock cooler. I know a proper overclock would give a nice performance boost but if I will end up getting the 2500K (or something like it) eventually, seem like I can just leapfrog ahead.

I also briefly considered just upgrading the processor but I don't really think any of the AM3s are worth it. Wondering what peoples thoughts on the matter are.

Current rig:
    AMD Phenom II 720 BE @ 2.8 GHz (Just increased the multiplier)
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    ATI 4700HD
    MSI 770 C45

2. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Well-Known Member

In short, if you have an am3 (not an am3+) then there is only one answer if you have the upgrade bug and can afford it.....YES