1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade - Are these parts ok?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by janineo, 2 Apr 2010.

1. janineo

janineo What's a Dremel?

I've been tasked with upgrading my mum's old PC.
    It's P4, so I'm going to get a new Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and use the existing sata HDD (with a new install of Win 7), PCIe graphics card, and case.
    I'm not sure about the PSU yet, I have to check what it is first.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

CPU: Intel Core i3 540 clicky
    Mobo: Gigabyte P55A-UD3 clicky
    RAM: 2x2GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill ECO clicky

This will have to last at least 3 years, and probably closer to 5 years before the next upgrade, so I went for a mobo that does USB3 and Sata 6Gb/s as that will help with future peripherals and and HDD upgrades.

No games are going to be played (other than solitaire), but storing of pictures, running of slideshows, email & internet are the primary uses. It just has to be faster than her current PC, even with all the same stuff on it!

Am I correct that the Core i3 will work with the P55 chipset? I know the i3 is usually put with a H55 chipset, but most of those seem to be uATX boards, and we don't need the on board graphics.

Thoughts, opinions, please?

Thanks,
    Janine

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

look at the march buying guide.. it's on this site

3. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Think you would be cheaper going the AMD route, may also be able to salvage her old Ram going that way if it's DDR2. Wouldn't worry about USB3 and SATA 6Gb/s doubt she'll get much use out of them.

Could also save money going with a dual core athlon or Core2 as i doubt you'd see much improvment with a quad core for what the system would be used for.

4. janineo

janineo What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure the RAM is DDR, the PC is at least 5 years old.
    I'm hoping it is DDR actually, as I want to nab it for my Athlon 64 X2 PC. One of my RAM chips failed and DDR is relatively expensive now, especially as I have to buy matched sets!

I thought the Core i3 was a dual core? Or does the HT make it a kinda quad?

Can you point me to any recent CPU shootout links, please? I'm having trouble finding stuff on this site - I was used to the old custom pc site, and I'm not sure how to find the articles from the magazine on here, like the labs.

Are there any CPU's you would recommend? It's all changed a lot since the last time I built a PC (The athlon 64 I mentioned).

Many Thanks,
    Janine

5. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I was thinking along the lines of an AthlonII X2 or Core2 E5xxx for cheap CPU's that would do the job. This review has some benchmarks with the sort of cheaper processors you could be looking at.

Built a computer using these mobo and CPU around OCT 09 for my sister. Works flawlesly for what it's built for (surfing and WOW my old 8800GT helped for the WOW)

Intel E5200 alhough advertised as a Pentium it's based on Core 2 architecture. Manged to overclock it to 4 GHz before the old crappy RAM i re-used for my sisters COMP limited it.

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L for mobo. No particular reason other than it was the cheapest.

You'd have to ask someone else about the AMD route don't no very much about it.

6. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

In terms of 'bang per buck' you can't currently beat AMD. Would compare very well against Intel; and be somewhat cheaper.

7. janineo

janineo What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I've had a look at Intel E5300 and Athlon II X2 250.

The Athlon seems better at stock speeds, and mum is unlikely to want to overclock - it's about half the price of the i3, and the mobo's are a bit cheaper too.

I might go for that, if it'll be ok for a few years. It's a newer socket than the Intel too, so might be able to upgrade the processor in a few years if necessary.

Any recommendations for AM3 mobos that don't need to overclock?

Thanks,
    Janine