1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Upgrade Dell Inspiron with SSD advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neil_b, 21 Nov 2016.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Can anyone recommend a good SSD (doesn't need to be stellar) to replace the ailing disk in my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. Looking for an SSD around 250GB. Not sure what SATA type the Inspiron is...!

Questions:

Can I just drop it in and do a fresh install of W10 or W7 (I realise I'll need to download a copy of W10/7 etc)? I want to do a clean install to avoid any legacy s/w issues (and there's nothing I need to back-up either).

Also, while I'm at it I may as well up the memory to 8GB - anyone recommend a reasonably reliable source for suitable memory - not sure what the spec is...

How do I tell if a laptop would work with 64 bit OS?

Assume no adaptors are needed to fit an SSD?

Thanks.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2016
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Any SSD should be absolutely fine for you. I personally have a preference for Hynix SSDs but that's just me. Samsung are highly regarded. It's SATAII on the 1545 by the way but a SATAIII SSD will work fine.

Yes just drop it in the laptop and do a fresh install. It's always best rather than trying to keep your old install. All you need is the license key off the bottom (in the battery bay possibly) to activate 7 (or 10 if you haven't already upgraded).

And yes, your laptop will work with a 64 bit OS.

No, no adaptors are need apart from the caddy attached ot the old HDD.