1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Upgrade from D80 Bodies

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by GreatOldOne, 4 Oct 2012.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

As title really - I have two D80 bodies I am considering selling, but have no idea how much they're worth, considering the dSLR market has moved on since I bought them

Both in perfect nick, with bateries etc.

Any ideas?

Ta,

GOO

Last edited: 6 Oct 2012
  2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

For bodies only, CEX will pay about £130 (YMMV of course).

Linky

3. GreatOldOne

Thanks Ian, I hadn't even considered those guys! :thumb:

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Still go for 200 to 250 on Ebay.

5. GreatOldOne

The plan is to sell these for an upgrade - one we've had from new, the other was purchase second hand after Mrs GOO and I got sick of arguing over who was using the SLR... But now it's more a case of 'how much equipment are you going to lug around, and who's carrying it all. ;)

I'm looking at a D3200 as a cost effective upgrade, as it appears to have got good reviews, is cheap (body only) and just on the spec sheets is a massive leap from the D80. If I can get £200 a piece for the D80s, I can pretty much get the 3200 for nothing.

6. plamen_gb

plamen_gb What's a Dremel?

If you're going for an upgrade go for D7000 I can vouch for it, IQ wise is better than Canon 7D which I've had at the same time. It's worth the money and you can buy one cheap(they go for below 600£ these days) used on various forums :)

7. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

A D7000 would be an excellent upgrade from a D80 - but it would be quite a considerable step forward. Excellent build quality, and much wider range of manual controls with a more intuitive (imo) interface. But it is quite a jump in price.

Still not sure if there will a replacement for the D300s anytime soon- although various rumors seem to point to a D300s/D7000 replacement before the end of 2012. How well founded those claims are? Not sure- but I'm be curious to see what Nikon does post-D600- they might merge the D7000/D300s into a single new camera and have it sit at the top of their APS-C range.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I would argue that you can't really upgrade from APS-C camera meaningfully without getting a full frame camera. Until you've had full frame, you simply will not see the deficiency of APS-C. I sold my 7D in favour of keeping the 5D. All the croppers I've had have been very good indeed, but still not a patch on full frame where image quality is concerned.

Tell us what you're looking for from an upgrade - do you want better picture quality, or do you just want more bells and whistles?

9. GreatOldOne

Well, I just wanted a more modern camera.

Bells and whistles nice (like the idea of being able to shoot video, one less thing to carry), and I wouldn't turn down better image quailty. I know that that doesn't neccesarily mean an increase in pixels.

I'm not about to swap brands, as I have several Nikon lenses (150-500mm Sigma, 70-300 Nikon, 16-85mm Nikon, 10-20mm Sigma - all bar the last are VR/OS, and they all have their own focus motors)

I don't really want to spend top dollar either, as it's not like I'm earning my living from it. It's an occasional hobby. If I can get a decent price on the two D80's, I'm looking at not spending any more than what I get for the two of them on a single replacement.

10. GreatOldOne