1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Upgrade GPU on weak CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KoenVdd, 25 Apr 2015.

1. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately, in the world of Dell there are no CPU temp monitors (unless they are well hidden).
    I am really decided to go with a self build next time.

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Any core duo CPU can be monitored

Try core temp / hw monitor

3. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

I recall one tool giving thermals, but its windows only (I only dive in that cesspool when I'm desperate to game).

Do you need to take the CPU out the slot to clean and apply new paste or is it ok to leave it mounted?

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

There are temperature monitoring tools for linux. However they may be hit or miss. If so its not going to kill you to hop in to windows for 10 minutes to download a tool run in it and hop out again.

5. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Fair enoough.

Thinking of getting a Cooler Master G550M PSU. Good reviews, the main complaint is the use of CapXon/"CrapXon" capacitors, are they that bad?
    It's got 5 year warranty, but if it fails premature it can take other stuff with it.
    The alternative would be the Cooler Master V550S, but that is 50% more expensive also more efficient and hopefully more durable.

I will probably hand down my current system when I am going to replace it (Dad doesn't mind old hardware, he's currently on my 10-year old P4 3.2ghz Prescott, Radeon x600 265mb Hypermemory (good times:rolleyes:)), so I still want my system to have longevity.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2015
  6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

My coolermaster power supply is 8 years old and still going fine :)

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Better to leave it mounted. Then you don't run the risk of gunking up the socket with residual thermal interface material!

8. theshadow2001

Come to think of it my power supply is a cooler master as well. Its been going since 2009 I believe.

9. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

The biggest question is: cheap or expensive Cooler Master. It would be nice if the new PSU would last at least the full 5 years (so I can pass on my system), but some people are of the opinion that the used CapXon capacitors are absolute s***, regardless of a 5 year warranty.

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It's not going to under a massive power draw. personally I'd opt for the cheaper option.

You could try run the card on the existing PSU?

Could you post up a picture of the inside of the case?

11. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

cheaper

12. theshadow2001

The internet is a bad source for this kind of information on actual component quality. Its all just a bunch of anecdotal stories shoved together with a nice mix of confirmation bias. The sort of data required to make an informed judgement just isn't available. Even top tier stuff can fail in the same way as lower tier stuff. Lower tier stuff can be priced and marketed as higher tier stuff.

The items that I would look for in a PSU are measurable qualities like voltage ripple, and voltage drops with load, things of that nature. There are reviewers out there with this kind of information.

Its impossible to predict how likely something is to fail without test data from the production line. The best you can hope for is a manufacturer specified Mean Time Between Failure. Although the warranty should be an indicator of that.

13. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Sure thing, enough the age old splendor.

[​IMG]

Note: the image isn't mirrored, nor is my case upside down, just good old BTX.

14. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

hurts my head looking at that

15. murraynt

murraynt Modder

What is underneath your graphics card? And what connections are they using. ?

you could move the graphics card down and use a riser cable like this.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Is that a floppy drive?

16. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

I'd rather go with the risk of replacing the PSU with a newer, more powerful and quiet model than risk blowing up my current working one.
    If the old one could have handled it: GREAT, then I can use it in case the new one fails premature (or i hand my system over to my parents).
    If it couldn't: GREAT, the money on the new one wasn't wasted and didn't blow up the old one.
    PLUS: with a new PSU I don't have to hold back on the GPU (just it's size)

I mainly looked at the techPowerUp reviews of both. The reviewer was lauding about the G550M in all regards but the CapXon caps and a 45A In-Rush current (I hope thats on 115v because 45A@220v will surely trip my breakers at start up).
    The V550S is 80+Gold (and could qualify for platinum) which is a nice. But €90 instead of €60.

But indeed, the PSU would only be taxed to 40% at most, so it should hold out for quiet some time.

17. elise_s1

elise_s1 What's a Dremel?

if caps are holding and not plagued the PSU will be enough for a r7 260x (or a gtx750 ti to be on the safe side)

18. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Cool.
    They are a PCIe x 1 USB3 card and a PCI Wifi card (in that order).

But I fear there are no brackets where the native slot connecter would get in the way of the extender. Great tip though.

Alas, it is a SDcard reader. But there is still room for one I you think it's a worthwhile upgrade:dremel:.

The messiness, dustiness, colorscheme or wrong orientation?
    Hey, you have to work with what you've got.:p

19. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I wouldn't worry about CapXon Caps. If coolermaster think they are good enough to give a 5 year warranty then they will be pretty decent.

The atx standard is 50A at 230V or 100A at 115v inrush. Looking at them figures it could be either or. It shouldn't make a difference though, most socket circuit breakers are rated for 5 or 10 times more inrush current than the labeled amps.
    The wifi card could be moved to the first PCI lane.
    The usb card could be put where the graphics car is currently.

Then the new car could go into the PCI-E X1 slot using a riser card. I'm Not sure if you will get all the PCI lanes you need though. Maybe somebody could back me up here?

Otherwise you could get two raiser cables and move the graphics card and the USB3 Card down one slot and the WIfi card up to the top.

KoenVdd likes this.
  20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Merged.