1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade Insanity?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 25 Apr 2019.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I'm currently running a mildly overclocked i5 4670K on Z97 for gaming at 1080P and photo editing, which is great.

I have seen an X99 board with an i7 5820 advertised locally for £140, and am irrationally tempted.
    Because hex core and those cool DIMM slots either side of the CPU...

Is this a good buy? Also just seen @David has an i5 8400 on the MP, which is similarly powerful and would go in a '3' series 1151 board, which may not be that expensive as it's a locked CPU.

Am I losing it with itchy upgradeitis?

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

As far as performance goes, it’s Haswell based, so you’re just gaining two cores and a little extra memory bandwidth. That’s cheap, so I don’t see why not. :)

What motherboard, out of curiosity?

3. Arboreal

Hi B, thanks for your input, glad someone's chipped in.
    It's an Asrock X99M Extreme 4 - very BLUE heatsinks!

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I am in the same boat but further along, having recently bought an Asus H370-I Strix ITX board, i5-8400 and other bits, all going in a Nano S case.

It will replace my m-ATX i7-4790K main rig. I decided to upgrade to go ITX as well as silence with the case, and I decided to upgrade chipset as well given ITX Haswell boards are like hen's teeth.

I just thought, why not? It's usually the best reason.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2019
  5. Arboreal

I saw your anguish on the sales thread @Fingers66... My current rig is ITX in an NCase M1, but I do have a small (17L) ghetto mATX case which would suit the X99.
    The Asrock X99M does look tasty in that regard.
    A bit of head vs heart here; what I should really be doing is saving up for a dual M.2 ITX board (probably a Strix B360i ot Z370i) to make it really compact and save cabling.
    If I didn't go hex core, a Strix B250/Z270i would be similarly good
    The % gains from Haswell to Sky Lake and even Coffee Lake aren't that impressive in reality, the new features and toys are what you get with a newer platform.
    In fact, maybe a 144Hz monitor and a GTX 1070 later on would give the most gain in usage!! WANT vs need

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Yeah, I was going to go Haswell ITX but thought I may as well upgrade to get the new toys - hence the sale of the H97I rig. I also have two m-ATX rigs that I will eventually sell as well.

I got the Asus H370-I due to the quality of the board and, as you mention, the two M.2 slots. I won't use both at first but it gives me options later.

Plus the six core 5400 is actually faster at the video conversion tasks that I do which is the hardest I push my main rig, the rest of the time (majority) it is simply office work and internet on it.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2019
  7. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

Perfectly rational, if you ask me. :p

I "upgraded" to an i7, because I got one at a bargain price, but I could've quite happily stuck with the i5-8400. Just a case of want versus need. But the price helped me justify the change to myself - not that anyone else would believe me.

BTW I'm using the same Strix board in my M1, Ian - Coffee lake ITX boards were few and far between a while back - loads of sites listed them, but most were pre-order only. I did have the Asrock board, but it was DOA and they couldn't offer me a replacement. BTW I had the Ryzen 470 version of the Strix board too, and it got super unstable when using both m.2 slots. I RMA'd it and the replacement was just as bad.

This one seems ok with two m.2 drives.

No more upgrades for me for a while - still waiting for my new 4 bay NAS to arrive but, because it supports SSD caching, I suppose I'll have to grab a couple of NVMe drives for it. :lol:

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Good price IMO. Decent CPUs too, especially if you get a later one as they clock a good 400mhz higher than the release ones.

9. Arboreal

Thanks V-T, I'm tempted...
    It's interesting to see that there are a swathe of Broadwell CPUs in s2011 whereas there were a tiny handful in s1156.
    The thing I'm wondering is whether I'd get more benefit buying a GTX1070 followed by a 144 Hz monitor.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Sounds like the direction I went. Went 1440p, got a 1080 and am now waiting on Zen2 to move on from my 3770.

11. Arboreal

Your 3770 has done well! We're still on s1155 at work and no need to update, I still have 2 s1156 machines at home for the kids.
    Everything else is Haswell at the moment.
    The screen situation is tricky as I'm happy with 1080p but would want IPS for photo editing but potentially something else for gaming!

adidan likes this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Basically in the same position as me! I'm eyeing up a 9900k, but I'm waiting for Zen2 to see how it affects prices :)

adidan likes this.
  13. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Well-Known Member

2700 now under £200 on Amazon...

14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Hold off if you want to go down the Zen route, for sure...

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd say either route for now as new zen will reshuffle intels prices I expect!

16. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Well-Known Member

£160 today. Ludicrous.

17. Arboreal

Back to the OP.... I've just offered the seller £120 for the X99M with i7 5820K.
    Watch this space

Bloody_Pete and Vault-Tec like this.