1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade time?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Mar 2019.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Bugger means my 1900x will be worth peanuts when I jump ship :( no cheap x399 boards mind you.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The memory QVL for my chosen motherboard is super confusing. None of what I'm looking at on Overclockers seems to be on it - like, not a damn one - and none of what's in it appears to be on Overclockers.

Bonus points for the fact that it has things like an 8x8GB kit on there, which is quite some going for a motherboard that has two DIMM slots...

EDIT:
    Okay, this is on the QVL and is only a bit more expensive than the RAM I'd originally picked, but CL15 instead of CL16 to make up for it: Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C15. Overclockers doesn't have it, but Amazon does.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2019
  3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That's a good bit of kit. Go for that of you buy now rather than later.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Right, so, as Overclockers appears to not be stocking what I need and 'cos I like to order everything from one place, here's an Amazon basket:

upload_2019-3-21_13-49-8.png

Biggest change, bar the memory switch, is a cheaper PSU and a switch back to the faster 2700X 'cos it's actually more or less the same price as Overclockers is selling the 2700 for. Same SSD, though it's £8 more expensive on Amazon, same motherboard.

The only thing that I'm a bit miffed about is that the 2700X comes with a daft on-by-default RGB cooler, and I'm not fully certain I'mma be able to turn those off in Linux.

So, £845 all-in. A hefty chunk of change, but less than the £1,138 the thread started with...

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Plug CPU coolers RGB into motherboard RGB header, use BIOS of motherboard to disable RGB.

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm sure there'll be a writable flag somewhere in /dev, maybe there's some way to use Wireshark in Windows to see what changes when you flip the switch and then find the Linux equivalent.

Edit: or what sandys said. I nerded out a bit there.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

That seems pretty sensible to me, @Gareth Halfacree. What a big saving from switching the PSU and RAM there! £300 less but I suspect you'll notice absolutely no difference, which is a result.

8. Gareth Halfacree

I had read, on a quick Google, that some BIOSes don't have the option and it's Windows-only software or bust. Just having a glance at the motherboard manual to see what that says now.
    I've found a tool someone's written to fiddle with the Wraith Prism RGB LEDs, but only on Gigabyte motherboards.

EDIT:
    Inconclusive: the manual basically just says "here's the BIOS, good luck" and doesn't mention what options it includes. Thanks, Asus(!)

EDIT EDIT:
    But it's not looking likely, 'cos there's no RGB header on that motherboard. Ah, well, as long as it goes dark when the thing's suspended, I can live with a bit of a glow for my feet to enjoy.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2019
  9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If all else fails, take apart the cooler, paint over the LEDs with a black permanent marker.

10. Gareth Halfacree

My HP MicroServer has some masking tape inked in black over the RIDICULOUSLY BRIGHT GLOWING BLUE LOGO the idiots decided to put on the front. Works pretty well, and should be easy to remove if I ever sell it.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I had a similar problem with an external ODD that sported a retina scalding activity led, no software options for that so covering the LED was the only way to go.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

13. Gareth Halfacree

Bah. Would it really have killed 'em to build a physical switch on the side of the bleedin' thing?

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Just looked at my unused one (Went straight to Corsair H115i) - Only switch is for fan speed (H/L)

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That would make a great "how to" tutorial :D

16. Gareth Halfacree

Double bah: so there is a switch, but it only affects the thing that every single motherboard in the world can control in software. Amaze.
    Sounds like too much of a faff t'me!

Well, I hit the buy button: that little lot will be here tomorrow, but I'm racing a bunch of deadlines at the moment so they'll have to stay in boxes for a week or two.

EDIT:
    Apparently I also get a free copy of Tom Clancy's The Division 2... which I can neither use nor give away, because 'product must be installed on system where coupon code will be redeemed' and there ain't no Linux version available.

Arboreal likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Woop Woop ! awesome :D

No thoughts of running a dual boot dude? I gotta say, it's actually worth it for Division 2. Fantastic game !

18. Gareth Halfacree

None whatsoever.

19. Vault-Tec

Yeah my bad, I forgot you hated Windows :D

Shame it doesn't work on Linux :(

20. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Temporarily connect the led cct with mains power, no more bight lights...

Arboreal and Gareth Halfacree like this.