1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade! What first?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bboy_Jon, 27 Sep 2004.

1. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Ok well first im going to upgrade my crappy 420w raidmax psu to a Fortron 530w psu which is about $80 with shipping. Then im going to buy some round ide cables. (i have a round antec cobra floppy cable, so should i keep that or get a new one that will match my ide cables?) o and i have a blue case so should i get green cables or blue? and where/what should i get? i need 2 channel cables probly 18 inches. Then ill get a sleeving kit. Again where should i get it, what brand, green or blue? im getting the new psu so it will hopefully help my overclock

ok now back to the topic what should i upgrade to first?

Water cooling:
    Swiftech mcw6002 block
    not sure what pump, maybe mcw650 or an eheim pump, or via aqua or somethin, csystems 12v pump i dunno
    res or tline, not sure
    swiftech radbox for mounting my heater core
    danger den heater core

or

another stick of 512 pc3200 mushkin ram

or

upgrade to an a64
    AMD Athlon 64 2800
    SOLTEK NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb Chipset Motherboard

not sure is there a better setup that is around the same price?

the problem is with upgrading to the a64 is that i just got my pc in june, and my dad would get really mad if i got a new cpu and mobo mainly because id just have my 3000 and abit nf7-s lying around doing nothing. I could probly put it in my dads old p3 gateway but i dont have any extra compatable ram plus id end up putting a crappy nvidia tnt 2 16mb vid card in the mobo. SO ya id have it lying around in its box or somethin. But ill probly get a 6800gt or a new vid card after that so ill have my 9800 pro available to put in the 3000/abit nf7-s system. So then after im done upgrading to a64 i could go ahead and buy 512 ram for this computer out of the parts i took out, then buy an 80 or 120 gb hard drive and a dvd rom or burner and a cd burner. I could also go buy a nice full tower lian li for my a64 and put my 3000 system in my current case. SO basically, if i go with the upgrade to a64 route, id end up building two computers.

what should i upgrade?

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Its hard to tell whats the best upgrade when we do not know what you are running now :duh:

3. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

lol i keep forgetting to put my specs in my sig, its there now :duh:

4. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

personally, i would go for the extra ram or the water cooling setup, seeing as youve already got a good cpu and mobo (im biased, look at my sig) and at the moment you dont need to upgrade to a 64 bit cpu. personally, until i see a retail box with the newest microsoft os in it, im not going to upgrade. (and i just got my rig 2 weeks ago) so yea, either the ram or the water cooling (envious of water cooling). good luck :thumb:

5. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

yup ill wait until its cheaper and a64 is actually "needed"

6. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Fair enough but the A64s do really work well under "normal" windows too. To be honest, if I was buying a new CPU now, it would be A64. If I was gonna upgrade, I'd upgrade later (Did that make sense?). But they're still great processors, even running in 32bit ;)

7. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

yup, of course if i was to buy a new cpu now id get a a64 too, i can get the same comp that i have right now but with a a64 2800 proccesor and its still cheaper.

8. Preloaded

Preloaded What's a Dremel?

No 64

I'm running a A64 3000+ right now on an Asus K8N-E Deluxe motheboard and a 2500+ XP-M on an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and would definatly say wait on the A64 unless you are running ture 64bit OS's (I'm running 64bit debian build on the 64).

The 2500+ XP-M blows the A64 out of the water suing similar memeory and video card mainly due to it's insane ability to overclock and low low temperatures. I was able to push my A64 to 2.2ghz stable running prime95 loops, and thats on water (not a great OC for that chip :duh: ). But the cheap old $85 2500+ is running at 2.5ghz (12.5x200 1.65v) at 38deg idle on AIR. Hold off on the processor or upgrade to a mobile chip :thumb: .

Note: Mushkin memory is awesome. They are local for me so I can walk in to buy my stuff. Really down to earth guys.

9. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

OK, the clock speed is much greater, but what's it like in benchmark comparisons?

10. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

wow that a64 3000 oc isnt very good at all, only 200mhz heh. Thats kinda like my 3000 xp. Id upgrade to a mobile 2600 or somethin, only thing is then id have wasted 160 bucks on the 3000, my dad got my computer for me and id feel kinda bad lol. Plus id only gain maybe 300 more mhz. Cant really sell my cpu either