1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Upgrading a server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pimonserry, 22 Mar 2009.

1. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

So we are upgrading our ancient home AMD/Gigabyte mobo server (it's a Socket A).

We're looking for something inexpensive (<£150) for the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Don't need anything else (so must have integrated graphics).

Ideally we'd get something low-power (is less than 100W total (inc. 3 HDDs) possible?).

We've looked at a Gigabyte G43 mobo, an Intel E5200, and value DDR2 RAM, which hits £151, but can't find any power figures.
    And the ULV models of C2Ds seem a bit harder to come by.

We don't know much about modern AMD processors, but ideally we'd underclock it a bit to keep heat, noise, and power down.

Open to AMD or Intel suggestions.
    Any ideas?

2. AQNFX

AQNFX Twist The Grip, Let It Rip!

would this be a home server? if so then you should wait a little bit to see if you can get your hands on the ASUS D200. :thumb:

3. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Ah, yes it is a home server, but it's a bit more complicated than a NAS-type box like that. We host a website, and an FTP server.

4. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I recently bought a similar setup for my parents (e5200, gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H and 4 gig of ocz ram) which runs very well for general use and in vista it underclocks to 1.2GHz when not loaded at about 1.1V i think. I'd have though manually underclocking it would be possible, although I don't know how low the voltage adjustments will go. That'll be a pretty low power setup. The e5200 is rated at a TDP of 65W so underclocked and undervolted i'd have thought it would run at around 40W possibly less at full load, so idle should be even lower.