1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrading AM3 - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faxiij, 5 Mar 2013.

1. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

* Budget:
    Upper limit is 250 Euros, about 220 quid.
    This budget is to include GPU, CPU and RAM.

* Purpose:
    A bit of everything. Some Gaming, Media Playback, Video Editing.
    It does everything okay, I'd just like more overall speed. A priority is on games, however I don't want to spend much more than half my budget on the GPU, seeing as I will probably get a IB system early 2014. Within the budget however, obviously more GPU grunt would be nice - as much as possible in this bracket.

* Current specs:
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250
    MB: MSI 770-C45
    RAM: 4GB (2x2) DDR3 Kingston Value PC3-10700
    GPU: Gainward GeForce GTS 250 512MB "Green"
    PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power L7 530W

I intend to keep the MB and PSU.

* Resolution/TFT:
    I have a Dell 24", thus 1920x1680. I also run a second 22" TFT @ 1680*1050, only for Office/Productivity though. IF possible, I would like to add a third 15" TFT to display weather, sysinfo only. So if the GPU could do that, it would be very sweet. Not necessary though (been thinking to get a r-Pi to do just that..).

* OC:
    I have a slightly overclocked system already (CPU @ 3450 MHz, Ram @ 766.7 MHz, NB freq. 2300MHz - I'd like to oc my GPU as well, however any oc-tools keep crashing my pc, please respond in my other thread if you have suggestions: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=257238 ).

I don't really feel secure enough to do some heavy overclocking, but I do want to go for some modest overclocking (without changing voltages, that kind).

* Storage requirements:
    Not sure what is meant by this. I have a case (physical) and for now, enough free harddisk space (data-storage). So I guess "none"?

** Special Requirements:
    Nvidia GPU: to benefit from hardware encoding in Adobe Premiere Pro and simply because I like team green and am not very fond of team red.

The parts I thought of:
    CPU: Phenom II X4 965 BE
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333 CL7
    GPU: Asus GTX 650 Ti DC2T 1GB or Gigabyte GTX650 Ti OC 2GB

CPU & RAM, not much to say I guess. Decent price, good performance, I think this is okay?
    As for the GPU, I'm not sure if there is any benefit in 2GB vs 1GB?
    The 650Ti is the best I can get within my budget as far as I could find anything and those two cards I picked in particular because of their extended formfactor. I must admit, I do NOT like those super-short GPU's, they look a bit silly. Plus I was intending to attempt to build a custom cover to include two NB BlackSilent fans for better cooling/better looks - thus I welcome the longer heatsinks that come with these two examples.

Sooo, mostly I was hoping to get comments on the parts I picked, as I searched many hours and am quite happy with those re price and looks. Not sure on performance, which is where I'm hoping to get your help. Is this AM3 platform rubbish? Or are there any bottlenecks, making it a bit redundant to spend this cash on this system?

If it is a fair upgrade I don't mind spending the cash, however if it doesn't make much sense I will try to save instead, try to be patient untill I can afford a IB-system or similar.

Looking forward to your advice, thanks in advance! :)