1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrading from E6600 - Salvageable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Saint_, 8 Jul 2014.

1. The_Saint_

The_Saint_ What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Been a while since I posted here, but could do with some advice on refreshing my build on a budget (£500-£600).

I built my current machine back in 2006 and apart from replacing the power supply and adding additional HDDs and RAM its done well, but is long overdue a refresh. I primarily play the total war series and while it can just about run Shogun 2 it really struggles on the battle field. I haven’t even bothered to get Rome! I also do heavy image editing in photoshop/lightroom - usually merging panaroma's etc.

Current specs are;
    • Core 2 DUO E6600 @ 2.40GHz (not overclocked)
    • Gigabyte GA_965P_DQ
    • 6Gb DDR2 RAM
    • GeForce 7950 GT - 512MB GDDR3
    • Drives: Sata 250Gb (OS), 2x Sata 3Tb mirrored
    • Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP – 20in widescreen (1680-by-1050)

The ask is basically, is there anything I can salvage from this?

My original intention was to replace the MB (Asus Ranger), CPU (i5) and Graphics (GTX 750Ti). I would then keep the drives, and case all as-is.

However I do need a new case as I have to move my current HTPC case off my desk (Zalman HD160), plus I could really do with a quieter case (probably Corsair 550).

Second, given the performance of SSD drives these days – this probably needs to be top of the list for new kit.

I am now wondering if it’s worth keeping the CPU, MB and RAM, and simply upgrading Graphics and the OS Disk to SSD. However, both would be limited by the MotherBoard – Graphics would be constrained to PCI-2 and SSD by the 3Gb ports - would this completely defeat any improvement?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Cheers,

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The E6600 is substantially outpaced even by the cheapest dual core Celeron these days, and the latter also offers dramatically lower power consumption and built in GPU. However, you can't overclock a Celeron, so that's something.

A decent SATA2 SSD will still be a huge improvement over any mechanical drive, and single GPUs won't be constrained by PCIe 2.0, but the problem is your 965 motherboard. A decent Yorkfield quad will work in there, but it's not officially supported so you might run into issues - particularly with overclocking should you choose to go in that direction.

As for that once mighty 7950GT - it's actually slower than the integrated GPUs on Intel's Haswell CPUs now :lol:

It'd be throwing good money after bad.

You're far better off selling the rig you have in bits (apart from the 3TB drives) as you'll probably get another £100 towards the budget then. £600-700 will build you a pretty meaty rig these days which will annihilate your existing setup across the board - noticeably so.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2014
  3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I've recently upgraded from a Q6600 to an i5-4570 and it's like night and day.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Is it worth keeping the CPU/RAM/Motherboard? No. Games are becoming increasingly multi-thread aware, and you're already struggling with the old CPU you're using, with the situation going to get worse over time. The socket on the board doesn't hold any enticing upgrades either.

I think your original intention is the best - replace the core system, keeping your mass storage drives but adding an SSD.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

6 years is a good run - but yes its time for a totally new system ;

SSD for boot drive (120gb or so) , with the 3TB for file storage - and sell the rest / donate to a child in your family?

win 8.1 is quite good now.

the i5 will be like a new world for shogan ;)

6. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

What's your budget? I'm sure we can put together a good build for you, or at least one that is in the right direction.

7. WozzaGB

WozzaGB What's a Dremel?

Hi

I would go with the general consensus, the only things you may be able to make use of are the drives and monitor. Things have moved on too far. I'm in a similar position, will soon be looking to upgrade from the following:

ASUS P5K premium
    Intel Q6600
    4GB Corsair Dominator RAM
    500GB Samsung HD501
    Gigabyte GTX460 1GB DDR5 (originally had 8800GT until it went faulty)
    Antec P180

Was very tempted recently to buy an intel i5-4690K and Gigabyte motherboard from Scan. Gave it some thought and realised that I still have plently of game time left on things like Shogun2. I will probably wait until the Broadwell chips next year, at which point I may also salvage the case (as it still looks smart), and the graphics card which is newer than the rest of the build. This will also give me a bit of time to overclock this bad boy, which was the intention originally. Never overclocked before, and now would seem the perfect time with an old rig.:rock:

8. The_Saint_

The_Saint_ What's a Dremel?

Wow - thanks for all the replies - fairly unanimous opinion there I think!

I think this comment summed it up really - though it does hurt!

Ok, so back to the drawing board, assuming I can get a few pennies selling the kit off, my ieal would be the following;

• Corsair 550D £119.99
    • Asus Ranger £129.95
    • Corsair Vengeance 8Gb DDR3 @ 1600Mhz £67.99
    • Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz £169.99
    • Crucial MX100 - 512Gb £159.99
    • Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti £109.99
    • Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 CPU Cooler £34.99

However that's coming in around £800. Any thoughts on where I could cut down?

The SSD is the obvious choice, but my current 250Gb OS disc is practically full and the MX100 seems a good price point for the additional storage. Second I guess would be the MB, but I've made the mistake of getting a cheap MB in the past and it never seems to pay off - but open to suggestions!

@WozzaGB - Agree Broadwell might be worth waiting for, but given the delays (eta end of year?) I'm tempted to go ahead with Haswell.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

10. RagingMadman

RagingMadman What's a Dremel?

If I'm not mistaken, PCI 2 will be fine unless you're going to SLI.
    Also, There are SATA 2 SSDs that are still significant performance boost over HDD and work just fine.
    Your bottleneck will be your CPU.
    Also, You'll be unable to salvage ram with a z97 build as it uses DDR3 which is not backwards compatible.

11. WozzaGB

WozzaGB What's a Dremel?

You can still get a good motherboard for around the £100 mark, e.g. Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI. There is a Z97 group test on Bit-tech if you want to read more. As has been pointed out, you can save money on the case e.g. Fractal Design ARC Miditower (£60 mark), also has a review on bit-tech. I notice that you haven't included a PSU or operating system in your build list, so bear in mind these other costs that may crop up.