1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Galls, 15 Mar 2004.

1. Galls

Galls What's a Dremel?

Getting a new motherboard, staying intel. Will I have to reinstal all the drivers if I stay with an intel based board or not?

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Best thing to do prior to installation is to uninstall every single component in Device Manager (I'm assuming you're using Windows), especially if you're on XP or 2K (which will spit up nasty errors about hardware changing).

3. TMM

TMM Modder

With my amd, i went from a gigabyte Kt400 based mobo to an asus KT600 board and windows didn't even flinch, i had to installed the new chipset drivers and stuff tho
    :thumb:

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Try it and see.

If it spends ages finding all your harware again after you install it... probably best to re-install your apps. It may be OK tho... hard to say for sure.

Back up your stuff first!

You do have a drive for back-ups don't you?

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

if you go for one with the exact same chipset you should be fine, done it myself a few times.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

Most of them use the same drivers I would have thought, if you're hesitant, download driver cleaner from driverheaven.net and then uninstall the drivers thataway :)

7. Trickle

Trickle What's a Dremel?

Presumably, though, even if it uses the same driver file, the file itself will contain lots of redundant data not used unless it detects a particular chipset. So even if the same file is used, it may need to be reinstalled for the new chipset.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've gone NFII to NF3 without a driver reinstall on my testing OS. I would recommend removing and reinstalling though.

9. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

yeah, its usually a case of "is it best" rather than "will it work" nowadays on xp (allthough '98 was te best for it, just delete a registry key and install drivers from scratch :D )

10. Trickle

Trickle What's a Dremel?

Were you getting the correct 3DMark scores and so on for your equipment?