1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrading my PC please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Magizi, 20 Oct 2011.

1. Magizi

Magizi What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone! :D

I am in need of some advise. I'll be upgrading some of my computer parts this weekend and I ran into a potential problem.

I'll be buying a cpu i5 2500k lga1155 / / this one seems like a no brainer. I use my PC mostly for office duty, youtube, browsing the internet and gaming.

The problem comes with MoBo and Memory:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498&Tpk=GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104242&Tpk=KHX1600C9D3T1K2/8GX

MoBo says 1.5v for the memory slot and Memory says 1.65v. Will this be a problem?

I'll also be getting this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103089&Tpk=Cooler Master V6 GT CPU Cooler

Will this heat sink be good for over-clocking the CPU?

I plan to buy a gtx 570 later down the road in late November. I mostly play Starcraft II so, the build should fare pretty well I believe for my favorite game. Currently the video card I'm using is a HD radeon 4870 512 mb. Should I wait for next gem GPUs? will those use the same PCI.E 2.0 socket?

I do play some other games occasionally (flavor of the month games like The witcher 2 for example) so I'll be pretty happy if this build gets the job done.

Now, you might ask why I picked these parts, well I'm on a budget and also I live in Mexico and I don't have access to some goodies, also in the place I buy hardware I get a preferred rate for the prices. But if there are significant problems I would consider other sources to get different parts.

Waiting eagerly for any feedback. :worried:

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I think you'd be better off using 1.5v memory really to overcome any compatibility issues, there is most likely a comparable option in 1.5v flavour.

The cpu cooler is certainly big enough to cool an i5 2500k, though there are plenty of other options worth looking at ( depends if performance, noise, price or aesthetics matters more- look around for opinions or check out the reviews under the Hardware tab at the top of the site ).

You could be waiting a while for the next gen of gfx cards, they will use the same pci-e sockets though for sure; the new 3.0 standard has barely started to be rolled out, if at all, and should be directly compatible with card using the 2.0 standard ( just more bandwidth, more than anything else I think- do some reading up on it maybe.. ).

3. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Intel recommends 1.5v memory, although I've heard of many cases where 1.65V memory is fine. 1.5V memory isn't much more expensive (in fact it might not have any price difference :p) so I'd go with 1.5V. Something like this probably suits your needs. However, you might want to look at other module pairs because that memory is really tall. The cooler you have listed is pretty big, so it might interfere with your memory slots if you get modules with giant cooling fins (like the ones I linked and the ones you're looking at).

Don't wait for the next generation GPUs. They're still a ways off, and even if they use PCI-E 3.0, PCI-E has been good about backwards compatibility, so you can probably run the cards fine on PCI-E 2.0.