1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Upgrading the cooler on my Sapphire 9800SE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silicond17, 21 Mar 2004.

1. silicond17

silicond17 What's a Dremel?

I'm looking to upgrade the cooler on my new Sapphire ATi Radeon 9800SE in order to overclock a little further and cool an already hot-running GPU down. I looked into those giant heatpipe coolers and the Arctic Silencer, but with the way my motherboard is layed out, none of them are going to fit. :miffed:

So I looked into smaller aluminum coolers for Socket A/370 CPUs and I found a few smaller heatsinks that look like they may fit. The one that I want to order is an all-aluminum Coolermaster that is about 55x55mm and is only like $4.99 with a 50mm fan. I already measured and it looks like it's going to fit without touching anything.

Now, my question is about mounting the CPU cooler onto the GPU. I do have Arctic Silver thermal adhesive (I knew it would come in handy some day). If I mount the CPU cooler with this stuff, will the adhesive be able to hold the cooler on the GPU without any other mounting? I'm assuming since the heatsink is all-aluminum, it will be fairly lightweight. Will the glue itself hold the heatsink on or am I going to have to find something else to mount it with? Also, when I put the heatsink on the GPU with the Arctic Silver thermal adhesive, will I be able to take it off in the future or will it be on there for good?

Hopefully this works, but if I do glue on the CPU cooler, I'll probably make about 3 PCI slots inaccessible. Oh well, I don't use them anyway. I'm also going to order some memory heatsinks so that I can keep them running cool also at overclocked speeds. Thanks for your input... :thumb:

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

id definitely recommend that you make some sort of mounting bracket and utilise the bolt-holes areound the core rather than permanently gluing it to it

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=53467
    a well thought out cooling solution can provide some pretty awesome temps, even as good as some water, on air

Last edited: 21 Mar 2004
  3. silicond17

silicond17 What's a Dremel?

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

you can make anything fit on anything, i have a massive copper athlon heatsink on my NB and a P4 3GHz heatsink on my graphics card

saying that, i dont think that would provide the kind of cooling you are wanting

you would be best off with a home-cooked solution for the best performance
    if you dont have the time/energy/inclination to make your own, may i recommend the arctic cooling VGA silencer, as it is the best cooling solution on air that you can buy for graphics cards at the moment

and very cheap as well http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-101&depa=1

Tags: