1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading to 802.11n Wireless

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dr_crazy, 11 Mar 2008.

1. dr_crazy

dr_crazy What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

(Forgive me, I know only a little about networking, esp. wireless!) My housemate has recently purchased a D-Link Router that is the new N standard of wireless, and I'm currently looking to purchase a new NIC as the Linksys USB adaptor I'm using keeps dropping my connection even though we have a really strong signal in the house.

Is there any recommended 802.11n wireless cards out there? I have a free PCI slot and a PCI-E slot (x1? the small one, not the x16) and there is no price limit as I have been saving like a good little boy :D

Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

2. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

I prefer to use a USB wireless-n simply because my board has 12 USB.

The PCI and PCI-E slots are used for VGA, RAID + etc.

I find USB wireless is much more flexible. i can move it around to other systems for troubleshooting.

One thing though, i instinctively try to keep my wireless hardware within the same brand.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Mar 2008
  3. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

If your connection seems to be dropping all the time, you might want to play around with the channel the signals operating on, and the frequency, you could be experience some sort of EMI (Electromagnetic Interference).

4. dr_crazy

dr_crazy What's a Dremel?

my housemate and I considered the EMI problem, especially since I have a wireless mouse. We tried all the channels and swapped my mouse for a cabled one and still the connection keeps dropping.

Currently, I'm looking at getting the D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N. Its PCI x1, so it'll be fairly fast, and I've seen it online for only £40ish. Anyone got an opinion on it?

Tags: