1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Upload my media to Openlec over the Internet

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by goldstar0011, 22 Feb 2014.

1. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Howdy

I'm building a very basic HTPC for the inlaws, I want to be able to upload media files to their box over the internet, not streaming though.

They have Sky internet and no static Ip but I think the router supports No-IP dns service.
    I've got WinSCP working locally but was hoping I can FTP as I know how to setup port forwarding

Wondering what everyone else does

Thanks

Last edited: 22 Feb 2014
  2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Why use FTP when you can SFTP? :D
    Router might support DynDNS have you checked?

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

DynDNS isn't free anymore, but no-ip is

Problem is there's no FTP program built into Openelec I've no idea how to and even if I figured that out how to configure as it doesn't have a linux frontend

Wo is me

4. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

OpenELEC is just a Linux OS designed for HTPC's (You get a verison for Raspb Pi too)
    You will be able to SSH into the system and install various services providing you know your way around command line.

SFTP is FTP over SSH as long as you open the port for this you are all set to manage the system and transfer files to it. (Would suggest doing port redirection to 22 rather than opening it up to the interwebs)

http://openelec.tv/support/frequently-asked-questions#howsshworks

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Sounds simple enough...........

6. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Cannot help you with the FTP issue, but I have a tip if you cannot find a suitable dynamic DNS solution for the system.

I have installed a free program called IPMonitor, it runs as a service on a computer connected to the internet via a dynamic ip. You can configure the software to send an email indicating the IP address each time it changes. In this case as long as you keep the emails then you will always know the current IP and be able to connect.