1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upon us, The Eve of War.

Discussion in 'General' started by Fowler, 17 Mar 2003.

1. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

(I know theres a post in Serioud Dis on this, but I think its important issue that should be discussed here, seen as more people visit this place. [end disclaimer])

Anyway on to more serious manors.

I actually have mixed opinions on this,

1. I can see the point of Bush and Friends. Saddam is out of his mind and needs to be stopped before he goes and does somein stupid, no doubt with bin ladens backing.

2. The population of Iraq will suffer as a consequence and so will many british and us troops and families, which is bad.

But what really concerns me is, I have never been alive and have a war kick off, Im 17 and ive seen all the films as im sure u have of ww2 and ww1 and to put it quite frankly.

U have got to be off ur face to want to join in IMHO. I mean these iraq soldiers arnt gonna sit and watch. In fact many wont have a choice as there blown into hell by us fighter planes.

The thing that also concerns me is who wants war, who doesnt. If this turns into world war 3, then were all screwed.

What do u guys think?
    (not just if we should go to war, but how do u feel about the whole thing?)

:blah:

2. Jaz

Jaz Banned

yes we are all screwed if Worldwar 3 starts (theres a nuke bunker in cardiff, yey)

gonna have to find myself a gas mask

3. Moreland

Moreland banned

we will be fine, if you didnt read or watch the news in this country or buy petrol/oil, you wouldnt know there was a war on.

4. Moo

Moo What's a Dremel?

It's odd, it seem the people who have the most to gain from a successful campaign will be the Iraqi's(people) and Israili's. Those with the most to loose if it becomes a long drawn out campaign are the Americans and us (Brits).

5. ivan2740

ivan2740 What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm completely against bush and his war. Sadam is not a threat to us, he doesn't have ICBM's and could not reach us if he tried. He isn't affiliated with al kieda (SP?) or anything like that, and quite frankly he hasnt been a terrorist threat. We don't buy oil from iraq, so the prices should stay the same... This war is going to happen because Bush has put too much into it already and it would be political suicide to back out now. All of the propaganda has the public craving this war to make sure they won't be "nuked" by Iraq! Also, Bush is a monkey=)

6. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

-> war is stupid any way you look at it.

7. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

ok..

my school sent home letters today telling oarents how to talk to their children about the war.

This is not cool..damn you bush.

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

you know what i tihnks funny in a non-haha sort of way!

1. the more weapons saddam destroys the more likely w are to goto war.

2. how saddam is gonna attack the world i dont know, he cant fire much outside his country n everything! no smuggling because airport security will be tighter than kylie minogues ass.

bit odd ;) it ihnk tony, george, and colin want war!

just my $.02 :)

9. :Galokin:

:Galokin: Guest

Yea im totally against war...
    Me is only 17, and ive also seen war films n stuff.
    To be honest i would be s**** scarred of a war!
    I know that Sadaam is a mental man, but surely there is another way of solving it, having a war in this modern world would be a huge disaster seein the technology would have been far more advanced then back in the days of WW1 and WW2. If this happens then all we gotta do is cross our fingers and hope to live.

C'mon there is more important things in this world to solve then this...it was red nose day on friday, surely that would set the message across that we should be trying to solve homeless people and those less fortunate then us. by having a way we would prolly cause there to be more homeless people!

Down wiv Blair!

10. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Point A: Saddam violated treaties that he agreed to (personally)

Point B: No one said they were a threat to the US/GB. They are a threat to US/GB interests (aka Israel). While I don't think we should be involved with Israel, I'm not sure it would help US relations with the UN if we said we weren't going to give funding to Israel...

Edit:
    Another way to solve it... Hrm... Let's suggest another resolution! And give the UN a new theme while we're at it!
    There's no other way.

We'll have a modern war, Iraq's army is at least 10 years behind us. Have you not paid attention to previous "wars"? The Persian Gulf War, the beginning of this whole mess, we bombed, we walked in, just before we got to baghdad (with very few deaths, especially when you compare the casualties to those in WW1/WW2) and saddam basically said "OK! OK! I give up! The game was fun, but I'm done now!" And we said "Ok, sounds good, but you have to agree to these terms." Saddam agreed, and he's been breaking the terms ever since.
    Modern warfare is not the same as former conventional warfare. So much is done from the air. Casualty rates have dropped to near "clean" levels.

The only thing I worry about is saddam's artillary unit south of Baghdad.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2003
  11. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

It's a complicated issue. There as many reasons to go to war as there are not to.

The big problem is invading without Iraq attacking first. Even though it is known that Saddam has these weapons (and is in general, an all 'round *******), it is tough to attack him for something he MAY or WILL do in the future... It's a lot like the movie minority report. Just because you know someone will do something bad in the future, does that give you the right to persecute them before they have done anything?:eyebrow:

I agree that Saddam has to be taken out of power, but only when the UN agrees as well. It has to be a World choice.

12. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

The problem with the UN is that every nation is working for their own good. The whole point to the UN was to be a global organization. But instead the US is doing what they want, the UK doing what they want, France doing what they want, ect ect... I blame bureaucracy. No one's capable of having common sense anymore.

13. Dark_Blender

Dark_Blender What's a Dremel?

Man no offense but youre so wrong its not even funny. First of all last time I checked they have found nuclear missles with the warheads which implies Saddam has nukes. Dont need ICBMs to detonate warheads man.

Second, the war will affect oil prices like mad. Top economists have predicted numbers and the oil prices will go down something like $200 billion if we win the war and $1.13 trillion if we lose it. Have you not checked gas prices where youre at and seen they have risen?

There will be war because it will get Bush reelected and it WILL help the economy. WW3 would be bull but I think people have mroe common sense then that. North Korea has a nuke aimed US soil as we speak. Its not just Bush pushing for the war. Remember it does go through the House AND Senate last time I checked.

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Please tell me you meant Palastine not Israel.

One of the conditions Blair has propossed along with Bush is a roadmap to peace for the Palastine/Israel problem, in particular handing land back to Palastine (ie kicking Israel out of the settlements) and helping establish a proper government.

15. penski

penski BodMod

Tony Blair has ****ed his future political career...

Where does this leave the UK at the next General Election?

Ian Duncan Smith?!?!

I feel this is an unjust war but at the end of it all, I don't care if we attack/are attacked.

I think that any actions by troops are VERY strictly monitored less they break international treaties (Bush, Blair et al infront of court...HA!)

*n

16. Jaz

Jaz Banned

Charles Kenedy, Alun Laud Hope (i think), gordon brown (perrhaps),

17. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

I did mean Israel. We give WAY too much money and arms to the Israeli government. It's kind of funny. We give more land to the Palestinians, then we give more arms to the Israelis so they can go in and take the land back from the Palestinians. I look at it as our own little way of making the UN think we're working with them...

I'm not sure how soon the general election is, but if it's after we end this war, I don't think you'll need to worry. Public opinion will sway greatly, especially when we march out of baghdad with nuclear, chemical, and biologial weapons like no one would believe. Nothing works for a political campaign like winning a war, even if the general public doesn't back it to begin with.

18. leber

leber What's a Dremel?

I agree with most of you guys. Saddam has to be stopped. He has tested bio weapons on his own people killing a whole village he is sick. As far as war goes I dont want it, but unfortanuly There is no other way. If the U.N. just has another resolution and says bad saddam they are only giving him more time to build his stock pile or do something really stupid and attack israel. So unforntaly we have to go to war. And this one will not be like the last time in the desert. This time we HAVE to take saddam down, not just walk up to his door and say stop. Saddam will have to know we wont stop unitl he is gone, so will he do something to as a last ditch effort, like use a half made nuke or bio weapons??

What really scares me is N. Korea. If the U.S. and Brits Doesnt get much help, they could be a real problem. Because the U.S. will have troops in afganstan and iraq so alot of bases will have less defense due to sending people to the desert. So will N. Korea then attack S. Korea to try to make one united korea, or will they do Anything. We cannot forget that there is another Nut over there. This whole situation scares the hell out of me honestly, too many crazy things going on.

(sorry about all the spelling problems but that is not my strong suit)

OK I will quit my rant with one last thing.

Thanks to all the troops who go and leave their family and risk their lives to try to protect all of us and the idea of freedom.

19. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Hmmm so if a bully is picking on someone its ok as long as its not you?? But why help the little guy i mean geez.. Who cares its us who is number one right??? Hmm me thinks it would have been rather interesting if america had this insightful approach during ww2 and ww1.... I don't agree with the war but i think that people should have good enough reasons to not like it besides the fact that it is a war

1) Iraqi soilders suck... They are horrible.. not well trained and lazy.. Like a week ago american were practicing artillery firing an iraqis though the war had started and already surrendered..

2) Wasn't there all this hype over the gulf war??

3)It won't last very long in a honest opinion 6 months the longest..

4)I don't agree cause as soon as be beat them? what next who controls iraq? who stays there?? since most of the un is a bunch of greedy panzies most likely the us would.. Thats my main reason we are in too much of a recession to have all this war crap goin on.. If we were doing better? nuke'em till they glow then shoot em in the dark...

5)This does make osama less cautious.. were gettin pretty close.. this may seem optimistic but we really are.. He slipped up and we caught one of his head guys.. and were closer to him. we should just concentrate on al queda and leave it at that...

well these are just some of my stated opinions.. but what do i know im just a dumb highschool kid.,,,:naughty:

nice ending thanks to the troopas who are doing this for us!!
    and a half made nuke isn't to dangerous.. maybe some radz but nothinh much lol

20. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Too bad they have the home team advantage. Just means our soldiers will die.

Of course I don't believe in war at all. The entire concept of making people fight for something they don't believe in has always made me feel a little akward. Some people want to be in the military. Let them fight. Instead we would rather waste precious life on a 'lotto' system.

Our technology is so great yet we can't even defeat a third world country who's army is a fraction of ours.

Let's hope Saddam doesn't use biochem weapons.

This war might also lead to others. Once we go to war other terrorist groups and enemy countries might see an opportunity to attack. Although it would be fairly futile, it would still kill even more.

We started this and now we can't back down. That's unfortunate.