1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPS? Battery backup...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hagatha, 16 Nov 2007.

1. hagatha

hagatha No Guts? No Glory!

Hey all,

Our area has been experiencing power outages pretty regularly... I have way to much invested in this system to take a chance on the power blinking and screwing something up.

I know only what I've read in a few threads and web sites... I can't really find and reference to what size is really needed or a particular bard that is better than the other...

Any input, opinions??

hagatha

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Anything around the 1200VA mark by a good manufacturer (Belkin et al) should be the the sort of thing you're looking to buy.

Set aside, around $150 for a quality unit.

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

There's only 1 brand for UPSes IMHO, APC
    http://www.apc.com/index.cfm?ISOCountryCode=us

The UPS selector gives:
    Best Price: APC Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V (Price: $59.99)
    Best Value: APC BACK-UPS ES 8 Outlet 650VA 120V (Price: $79.99)
    Best Performance: APC Back-UPS ES USB 750VA w/TEL & COAX 120V (Price: $99.99)

4. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering New Member

Apart from APC, the MGE Evolution UPSes are pretty good. I've had a 2200VA one running for 3 years now with no glitches, and a fairly high load (6 dual xeon servers). No extended outages in that period, but it's coped with a more than a few brown-outs and spikes.

5. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Don't forget Tripp Lite.

I personally have an APC SmartUPS 1000XL (675w, 1000va).

6. n0ferz

n0ferz New Member

There reason why my computer shut downs when we have an electricity problem is because my UPS is too weak to handle it?

Sometimes my computer stays running but sometimes it just shutdown :waah:.

I dont wanna risk this new 3 weeks old gaming rig :nono:

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus Rule #9

if you do get a UPS it might be worth looking at beefing up your surge protection as well, some of the controllers in them can be pretty suseptable to a transient surge.

8. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin New Member

I use a APC Back-UPS XS 1500VA which can hold a 860 watt draw for 4.5 minutes. The newer RS model has a RJ-45 to protect your internet connection. Look for boost and trim functions on the UPS. They either increase or decrease the voltage from the socket by to your computer without using the battery. By using a little bit of the battery and charging it in the background to compensate little changes in the line voltage prevent frequent switching to the battery as the only source of energy.

This prevents unneeded wear on the battery and extends the time between getting them replaced. The RS model costs over two hundred dollars but considering the value of all your other hardware it acts as an insurance policy for the computer.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2007
  9. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

what you want is a ups that supplies power from the battry constantly instead of only switching to battry when the mains dies. That way the switch over to battry power is seemless and your mains is filtered by the battry. On the down side your net power consumption goes up.

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus Rule #9

This is why you ensure that you get decent surge protectors with thermally protected MOVs inside them. the vast majority of ones bought in electronics stores are more likely to have the cheaper, unprotected ones in them and as a result they are more likely to overheat.