1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPS Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arthur2Sheds, 24 Aug 2006.

1. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

We just had an electrical storm cause a surge and reboot one of our servers. It is plugged into an UPS. Another server is plugged into the same UPS, and had no problems. The UPS has a self-test feature which indicated it is running fine.

Any ideas or explanations as to why this occurred and how to prevent it from happening again? Thanks!

2. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Silly question, but are you sure the server wtih the issue was plugged into a protected port?

I know a lot of UPS systems I've used have a couple of extra outlets that aren't really protected by the battery.

3. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

was the server connected to a hub/switch etc that was not protected?

4. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Thanks for the responses. Both of you had ideas that hadn't crossed my mind.

The switches are all plugged into a common power strip which is then plugged into the UPS. I'm guessing that there might have been too much power going through to stop it all.

I'm not sure about all the sockets being protected or not, I just know that everything that should be protected was plugged into the UPS.

No problems since then, and we seem to be through our little monsoon season, so I've quit worrying about it.

Thanks for the help!