1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upsizing power needs.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 18 Dec 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have decided to upsize my case and mobo from the Carbide 240/Asus Z170M plus to the Corsair Crystal Series 460X and a Gigabyte Z170 gaming K3 as I found both too small for my ageing eyesight when tinkering proved recently when I decided to install an M.2 SSD.

I currently have a Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F-600w PSU which I bought in 2013 and this has been absolutely rock solid. As most of the components in my signature, minus the spinning HDD's will be going into the build will the PSU suffice with the bigger mobo? I have a sneaking suspicion I will need to buy another set of custom cables from Pexon cables if this PSU will be fine. Or is it time for a renewal anyway?

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I would have thought that your current PSU will be fine. If you're just transplanting the same components from your old build to the new one and swapping out the motherboard, there's no reason to suspect that it won't be totally fine, although as you say you might need longer cables...

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Great, cheers.