1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays URGENT monitor streaks all white light from left to right, close to unusable.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by PortalBen, 13 Dec 2009.

1. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

Thanks for reading this, I really need help.

My display streaks all white colours from left to right, faded out. It has been bugging me for weeks and though I asked for help on a similar problem before nobody gave me any help at all.

The monitor is close to unusable now and I rally don't want to have to for out for a new monitor for what I am sure is a simple problem.

I have a 19inch Hannspree widescreen monitor. I have tried fiddling with all the settings on the monitor's OSD. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my graphics card drivers. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my monitor drivers. Nothing has worked.

If you have any ideas, please, please, please take five minutes to try and help me.

Thanks alot

Ben

Last edited: 13 Dec 2009
  2. Golygus

Golygus New Member

3 things.

1 have you tried it on another pc

2 have you tried a different monitor

3 how old is it?

3. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

I've tried a different monitor and that seemed to work fine.

Unfortunately, I have no spare pc to test it with atm :(

It is 16 months old and worked brilliantly up until I took it to a LAN party 4 weeks ago today. Since then, it hasn't worked properly.

4. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

Also, whenever I cut power to the monitor and then turn it back on again the probelm gets alot better but is still slightly noticable.

5. nightblade628

nightblade628 Member

I'm no monitor technician but if another monitor works on your PC fine then at least you know it's nothing to do with your PC. If I were you I'd call up the manufacturers and tell them the problem, likelyhood is they would have heard of the problem happening before by at least someone else and can advise you. If tinkering with the monitor settings doesn't work and there's nothing left on your warranty my guess would be you either fork out for a repair or buy a new one. You could also try googling the problem.

I realise you said you wouldn't like to buy a new one so maybe a repair won't be too costly.

I wouldn't like to advise opening it up and checking inside, it MIGHT be something that's loose but that's something better discussed with tech support.

6. Golygus

Golygus New Member

most monitors have a 3 year warranty.

Frankly, it sounds faulty.

7. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

+ if you got it new it should be under warranty.

Even if it's out of warranty, kick up a stink (In a very polite way) and say it's cost £xxx I'd expect it to last for more than 16 months.
    It is not fit for purpose and under the sale off goods act I want a refund.

The reply will be, 12 month warranty blah blah blah.

just insist that 12 month warranty is not the issue, It's the sales off goods act 1979 clearly states that goods should be fit for purpose. 16 months is not fit for purpose with or without a warranty.
    As the sale is a contract between your selves and me. It is up to you to honour it, and under the sales off gods act I'm entitled to a refund...
    then go for a compromise.

If they were going to refuse you've lost nothing by trying.

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Pics?

Probably the backlight going.

9. Golygus

Golygus New Member

according to the hannspree site, the LCD-TV's (and I'm assuming monitors) have a 2 year warranty.

Your statutory rights cover you with respect to the place you bought the monitor from. The manufactures warranty is extra and they do not have to provide one.

Port of call:

United Kingdom
    RepairTech Ltd
    Tel: +44 (0) 871 855 2424
    Fax: +44 (0) 1926 810052
    E-mail: hannspree@repairtech.co.uk

thehippoz likes this.
  10. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

Thank you very much for all your help :D