1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other URGENT: Quick facial hair advice for job interview today...

Discussion in 'General' started by Lorquis, 21 May 2010.

1. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Right, got a job interview at a bank later today as some kinda techy thing.

Issue is, I have a very (very) short beard, (think jawline down to a chin goatee type deal, but all less than 3mm long)

I'm currently unsure whether to just go clean shaven (which would have the downside of (imo) making me look a bit silly, and also making me look about 5 years younger) or go as I am, or maybe trim the goatee bit shorter to match the 1mm kinda bits on the sides (jaw).

Other issue is, I am rather prone to shaving rash...

Please be quick to reply as I only have about an hour tops to make my choice.

I'll upload pic in a second...

Oh the other factors are, it is a back room kinda job so I would hope that facial hair wouldn't be too much of an issue. Also I could always make a point of saying something along the lines of, I would have shaved, but ran out of razors or something (but that does sound lame.)

Last edited: 21 May 2010
  2. Lorquis

[​IMG]

Bad pic, I know but quickness!

3. simonsullivan1

simonsullivan1 New to this

As a Manager of a Retail Electrical Store my advice would be;

1) To shorten the length of it right down so as to not make you look younger,

2) Then tidy the edges right up so that it look deliberate and not just acquired through lack of shaving.

3) I wouldn't make any excuses as to why you haven't shaved it will count against you in an interview.

4) Have a look at the people who are interviewing you and other people in the building when you arrive - if there are people there with facial hair and your's is as tidy as theirs then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you don't notice anyone then mention at the end of the interview that you didn't notice anyone with facial hair and if it was company policy that you removed it then you would have anything against it.

That's my 2 pence worth - Good Luck!!

EDIT: Grammer

4. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Clean shaven. Always for interviews. Get the job first, **** about with the hair sprouting from your face later.

5. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

I've been to interviews with a shaven face, and an 'unshaven' face and both went just as well.

As long as its obvious that its not just you being a slob, and its a cultivated look, then I don't see the problem with going to an interview with facial hair.

6. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Indeed - tidy it up and follow simons advice... don't say you didn't have a razor etc... makes you look disorganised!

And good luck!

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I see no problem with facial hair in an interview, as long as its tidy.

Just tidy up and off you go!

8. CAPTAIN_CAPS_LOCK

CAPTAIN_CAPS_LOCK What's a Dremel?

Your beard will be fine, but your crossed eyes will cost you the job.

Bindi edit: re-wrote without caps lock

9. October

October Mariachi Style

Nothin wrong with a beard as long as it looks like you meant it to be there.

Oh...8 hours late. Oops. how'd it go?

10. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

For the amount of hair you have there on your face, I would get a shave. It's an interview, so why take the risk of making yourself stand put negatively from the other candidates. Your personal presentation will be taken into account, is it worth the gamble?

I recommend standing sideways in a strong breeze if you get shaving rash and don't want to shave....j/k :D

EDIT: oops too, just noticed the interview was today, so did you get rid of the bumfluff?

11. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Even though its too late, I would say shaving depends on the type of job. Food service or any clean jobs you would want to shave for, otherwise just keep it tidy.

12. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I try to be cleanshaven for interviews, but I have both health problems that prevent it (I have the use of only one hand) and my beard is a shave twice a day thing. At the end of the interview, go ahead and as and mention that you'd like to know company policy as well as the hiring manager's preference. It lets them know you're serious and shows respect for them. Once you've asked, if you get hired, do it. I have been lucky that I normally can have a full beard if necessary (they do ask me to trim it, of course) but I normally keep a scissor-trimmed goatee. Crisp grooming (even with facial hair) counts more than slovenly and clean-shaven.

You can always check www.artofmanliness.com for EXCELLENT shaving tips and etiquette. I'm a diehard wetshaver (brush, special soaps, whole nine yards) and it made a night and day difference in both ease and comfort of shaving. If you decide to do it, let me know and I'll show you some great deals on some excellent stuff.

13. Lorquis

Right, it's late so I'll be brief.

Went with an (even more) tidied up version of the beard, and turns out the guy who interviewed me had beardyness, so it's all groovy - wowwed them with my awesomeness - i find out next week.

Thanks though guys

and cap'n caps lock - thou art a ****, thanks for playing :)

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Jeremy Clarkson is that you ?

oh and GJ Lorquis. Job interviews suck balls.

15. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

Clean Shaven and tidy hair. First visual Impressions count more than they should in an interview....

16. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

Some good tips there as I will be looking at getting a job soon and i have both a beard and long hair.

17. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

How I read the thread title:
    URGENT: Quick facial advice for job interview today...

Anyone else read it like me? Or am I alone......either way I'll get my coat.

18. October

October Mariachi Style

Given the quote in your sig I'm not surprised :lol: