1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Congresswoman critical after nutter gun man lets rip at political event

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 8 Jan 2011.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Fine. The next time a 'Columbine' happens, you don't blame video games or movies, all right?

Stupid cowbag.

As for the "blood libel" bit, yet another cock-up to add to her long list of them.

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Can some please properly use the term "blood libel" in a sentence? I'm having trouble figuring out what it's correct meaning is.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Linkeh

Sorry, wanted to do that for aggges

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Jan 2011
  4. Cthippo

Yeah, I actually did that before I posted, but I'm still trying to get the proper usage. Is the act the blood libel or the accusation of having committed the act?

At the risk of sounding like an overinflated ego, if I can't figure it out then a LOT of people are going to have a hard time with the concept.

Sarah Palin: blah blah blah blood libel

Commentator: Blah blah blood libel is offensive to jews blah blah

People: OMG, Sarah Palin is an anti-Semite! :O

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I had never heard the term before but I think she is far more likely to be an idiot then an anti-Semite.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

While Ms. Palin offers the necessary media distraction - apparently the world still thinks she is somehow newsworthy - it's interesting to see what else is happening in the wake of the shootings in Arizona.

Again, instead of facing the difficult questions and trying to learn from our past mistakes, we have people like Republican Representative Louie Gohmert stating his intent to introduce legislation allowing members of Congress to carry concealed firearms in Washington, DC, and to carry their firearms on the House floor. It should be no surprise that he is from Texas.

I'm sorry, but did I just wake up in in the mid-1800s? I know Steampunk is all the rage these days, but I thought it was just escapist fantasy. I didn't realize our elected officials actually wanted to take us back in time!

7. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

According to this Guardian article Palin's top 3 words from her speech were: I, Tragedy, and Like.

8. Cookiemonster101

Cookiemonster101 What's a Dremel?

Has anyone watched the speech President Obama made? I haven't had the chance to yet, but on another forum I frequent everyone was saying that it was really, really good.

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Probably his best to date. Very moving and genuinely sincere.

10. Cookiemonster101

Cookiemonster101 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link! I just watched it, and you couldn't have said it any better. I think this is his best speech and that everyone, whether they 'like' or 'dislike' the President, can be moved by it. It was hard not to tear up when he was reflecting on the victims.

11. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

'Libel' is the written form of slander, so the 'blood libel' is the accusation that Jews use the blood of murdered children in various religious ceremonies. The actual act of using bits of people in religious ceremonies is actually nameless because it's forbidden under Judaism, which - with the exception of circumcision - hasn't practiced any body-parts based ceremonies since the fall of the Second Temple in 70AD. Even then, it was purely animal sacrifice since Judaism expressly forbade human sacrifice more or less from the outset.

What makes it really libellous is that other religions do still use human body parts in worship - ironically, Christianity in particular, but also Buddhism, for example.

Cthippo likes this.
  12. Cthippo

Thanks for clearing that up. have some rep :thumb: