1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US might strike in Pakistan: White House

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 20 Jul 2007.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Original story

With friends like this... :worried:

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That's OK; Pakistan is not our friend either. Remember the reaction to Rushdie's knighthood? The only reason that President Musharraf has been co-operating at all is because he needs our support to prevent him from being overthrown by a more fundamentalist regime. And frankly, that is the only reason that we support him.

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Why wont they let us Indians do it.
    We've been itching to get rid of them for years and we've got the capability to do it.

The reason Musharaf does what he's told is his country is built upon US and UK money and the fear of a fundamental regime.

4. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

WTF ? This can only make the terrorist situation even worse than it is now?

Wonder how this will affect India ...

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

It wont make that much difference.
    We've got so much firepower compared to our neighbors its laughable.

The Terrorists strike all the time in India, with the most recent being all those people who died on the commutator trains during peek hours. When that happened i believe there was huge retaliation buy the government instantly but arrests and instant death penalties for those captured.

6. Nexxo

Kind of ironic considering that you guys used to be neighbours in one single nation who managed to get on reasonably well with each other. But no sooner does the British Empire (deceased) split you up under their exit strategy, and you are all ready to do a Yugoslavia on each other. Nationalism is a sucker's game. And who is the winner?

Yes, the UK Government was concerned, alright. MoD Scientists had already calculated the areas of fall-out in the case of a nuclear exchange, and the UK was actually in the process of recalling its personnel from those areas. That's how close the UK thought we were to nuclear war in 2002.

So what does it do? Broker peace between Pakistan and India? Open diplomatic negotiations? Sure, but not before whoring a few more military jets to India on behalf of BAE (Jaguars were in the pipeline too, by the way), just to stir things up a bit more...

You are all being suckered. Again.

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Pakistan has long been a hotbed for Islamic Extremism, and there are parts in the North West that are no more than terror training camps.
    Even those in positions of political power have condoned suicide attacks, even going so far as to encourage them link.

I just hope the West can work with Pakistan in dealing with the problem rather than sending in the bombers, which inevitably hit civilians as well as the intended targets.
    When that happens the extremist views are only reinforced.

Pakistan is a real threat at present (not in a military sense, but more as a breeding ground), unfortunately Musharraf who seems to be a decent guy, is having little impact and his position may become unattainable as public opinion moves more to the right.

8. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

If it wasn't for Pakistan's nuclear 'problem' I can't help but think it would have been on the receiving end some time ago - Musharraf might be considered a better leader for the country than the extremists from our point of view, but even with 'our' support, he has shown a complete inability thus far to clamp down the rampant extremism. As for Musharraf being a decent guy, well, I disagree - he might be considered useful by the west, but the way the military rules Pakistan is downright scandalous.

To my mind, if nothing else changes (like Musharraf stops wasting money on fighter jets and starts investing in education and welfare) in the long term Pakistan is almost certainly a lost cause to extremism - that the west is seeing fit to sell large numbers of advanced weaponry (large numbers of Block 52+ F-16s with all the latest weaponry) to this country because Musharraf wants to try and keep pace with India, and because he whinges about him being an ally in the war on terror so he deserves the right to buy such equipment, seems incredibly short sighted.

I can almost see it now - Pakistans Islamic revolution, 2012, leaving a fundamentalist regime armed to the hilt with the latest weapons that we so stupidly decided to sell - flashbacks of 1979 in another country that happens to be a neighbour...?

9. ikra

ikra New Member

America just loves to poke its nose around. They have a large presence in southeast asia even after the vietnam war. Large naval bases etc etc. It seems like they are using their military to dominate all

10. Nexxo

Good analysis.