1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress US Navy Chief Petty Officer Tribute

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by firebirddna, 7 Feb 2010.

1. firebirddna

firebirddna What's a Dremel?

So I'm the new guy here, thanks for having me. As the title mentions, I am a US Navy Chief Petty Officer (E-7). I have seen many themes and there wasn't one like my idea.
    I'm using an old case of some kind. I have some images that I'm working with a waterjet cutting company for the work on the case sides. Just started but the case has been disassembled and some reference marks laid out.
    I kind of feel bad too. Most of the work here seems to be finished products. Unfortunately, I do not have the funding to have new items, i.e all the internal parts and pieces, so I will just have to use the old stuff all over again.
    For reference here are images for what I have so far.
    Thanks for looking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Promising idea. I'm watching.

3. GuyInTulsa

GuyInTulsa Dremel Molester

Welcome aboard Chief!

4. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

got me interested. nice idea

5. Validus

Validus What's a Dremel?

Cool idea, I bet I'm going to enjoy this one.

6. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Is there any other way?

7. firebirddna

Thanks to everyone for looking.
    bigkingfun, I don't know how much money you guys think I make, but dropping nearly a grand and a half on the parts on I want, just isn't in the budget. If I could, this is what I would go with:
    Intel core i7 920 $299
    WD Caviar 500G $55
    Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R $189
    Corsair XMS3 4GB $109
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $30
    prolimatec megahalems $70
    Corsair 950TX $180
    PNY GTX260 x2 $380
    thermal compound $10
    Windows 7 $105
    $1427
    I already have 2 dvd-rw's
    or there about anyway.
    I'm not really one to talk to folks ( read as computer parts manufacturers) about that sponsor thing or trying to score free stuff. I'm just a private guy delving into this new world or trend as my wife calls it.
    I'm having to rethink how I want to do the anchors on top. I looked at cutting them from plexi and then having bright yellows LEDs under probably in the fans or just under the lip of the opening. I think though, I might just go with a standard style fan grill and use actual uniform style anchors that are about 4 inches tall and affix them to the top of the grills.
    And wouldn't you know it, as I was cutting the holes, my dremel gave up the ghost, so tomorrow I will have to get a new one.
    thanks for looking.

8. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Welcome to my world :D

Im using a cyrix 233mhz chip in my mod its just something for me to do but as long as you have something to build around then its all good

sadly can't see your pics from college they block imageshack :wallbash:

Subbed! so i can watch this from home :thumb:

9. firebirddna

US Navy Chief Tribute

hi, not much to post now. i took a few images of the results of my cutting holes in the case. you can see that those holes suck. I have lots of filing to do to get them straight and rounded off. I am waiting for some fans to come in. My first thought was to take my skull and swords image, cut out the letters individually and then attach them to the pleixglas window. after my experience with just cutting those holes, I decided it wasn't going to be worth it. I would need lots of time and patience, of which I really don't have. so i figured i would do the next best thing and have the image cut out of vinyl which I can then apply to the window. The guy at FedEx Office, formerly Kinkos/FedEx, told me that one of my images, the Navy logo was a copyright thing and he couldn't do it. My skull and swords image was in the wrong format so I will have to go back again later.
    I did get a royal blue and rich yellow spray paint for the colors. thats all for now. thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MugenUK

MugenUK What's a Dremel?

Love the idea of transforming a boring old beige case, will keep an eye on this one :)

11. GuyInTulsa

Go to FedEx in uniform and tell the guy, you are an authorized agent of the United States Navy and entitled to use the Navy Logo. Maybe that will change his mind!

Steel takes a lot of work to cut nicely with hand tools. Filing is the only way, but it’s worth it in the end.

12. firebirddna

Chief Petty Officer Tribute

There are 2 pics of the bottom half of my case. I'm looking for an idea of what to do with it besides leave it alone. i'm going with blue and yellow colors and a decal of the US Navy seal. Any thoughts? I have fans prepped and ready for paint, the side and top is ready for paint. I'm waiting for some other materials to come in. Post pics when I get home later on. thanks.

13. firebirddna

Did a little bit of work today. got some painting started and realized I suck at it. I tried modifying the mouse and jacked it up. You'll see the yellow paint which didn't look good, so I opted to try the yellow vinyl. Never used the stuff before, its not too too bad. ok, yes it is. I will try again. The vinyl is pretty stretchy, but it doesn't like corners. Theres not a lot of room on the other side to fold it over either. I still have lots of work to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the fans came out ok, and there is a keyboard in there. probably just going to leave it blue and not do anything else with it. the side and top is primed, need to sand it a bit and then it will be ready for some color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

constructive criticism anyone?

14. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

First off, Welcome to Bit-Tech! Second, don't feel bad about not having brand new parts and finished products. This is the project log section of the forum, we just enjoy watching you mod! So, just have fun with it.

My constructive criticism:
    I think the yellow and blue colors used are a little too bright. I would maybe tone them down and darken them to match the blue on the dress uniform and the yellow to match brass pins. That's just how I would do it. Only an opinion. With painting.. just be patient, allow it to dry before sanding/coating again. If you want a nice finish with paint, sanding is key (or using some fancy-pants paint that's normally used with cars). Either way, it's your project and up to you.

I can't tell, but in the mouse.. is that brass pin actually sealed in there or is it just kinda sitting in there?

Last edited: 20 Feb 2010
  15. GuyInTulsa

I looks like your painting outside and there's snow on the ground.

It's very difficult to get a good finish painting in the cold. If you can't paint where it's warm, try using heat lamps or a hair dryer to keep the surface warm. Also be sure to keep the paint and parts inside so they are at least room temperature before taking them outside.

You'll need to stop and take everything back inside when the parts start to get cold.