1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US now dead last amongst industrialized nations in health care

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 17 Jul 2008.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Original story

Just remember, no matter what anyo9ne says, no matter what the number show, the US is still the greatest neation on earty :rolleyes:

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Sounds about right to me.

3. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

+1

My last job didnt have any insurance offerings that I could sign up for so I tried to get insurance on my own which would have cost $100 a month and I would still pay for everything until I met a deductible amount of $2000.00 That was assuming I would be approved for it which I wasn't because I was considered a risk or would need their services making them less money. When I got my new job I was given health care coverage to the Tune of $130 a month and I haven't been to the doctor in over a year.

Any visit to an ER would have gained me a $4000+ bill with out insurance too.

4. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

hm, that's depressing, and you can't hardly say America is number one, while i hold it high in my heart this is a UK based forum. Still find it ironic we spend so much in medical, yet wear dead last.

5. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

The healthcare system in the US, as it is, is just plain wrong. Private insurance will always be more an adversarial system to the insured. Making money depends on denying claims whenever possible and paying as little as possible to doctors and hospitals. I know of a couple excellent doctors so far who no longer accept insurance and are on a patient pay system as they no longer want to deal with the bureaucracy and problems with insurance companies. This is a trend I suspect will continue.

I do not know what the solution is, as I am no expert. All I know is that it must change.

6. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

just another case that proves the point of throwing money at something doesnt make it go away or make it better...

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The solution is national health care. People may bitch about its inefficiencies and inadequacies, but in the end, the evidence speaks for itself: it gets people the medical treatment they need, when they need at a cost they can afford. No expensive bureaucracy to submit and process insurance claims; no sky-high insurance premiums because of assymetrical markets and moral hazard (i.e. the people most likely to insure are the most sickly ones, while the healthy ones are more likely to risk doing without. This drives up the insurance fees, and reinforces that pattern: more healthy drop out, the sickly hang on, etc. And once you pay good money for health insurance, you are more likely to want to claim on it and have less incentive to invest yet more money in staying healthy).

It is time that some Americans abandon that dumb myth of "success and achievement by self-sufficiency and hard work". First, that country was stolen from the Native Americans. Second, it was built on black slave labuor (and cheap Chinese labour). Third, the economy continues to profit from the exploitation of illegal South American immigrants --the true self-sufficient hard workers. Fourth, every large industry and agriculture (and now, financial organisation) is a welfare queen, floating on large subsidies and tax breaks given by the government. Fifth, the US economy depends not on hard work and achievement (that one would be the Far East) but on trade embargoes and protectionism --just see its foreign policies. Sixth, for every winner there are three losers who tried just as hard. Dumb luck is not an achievement; it is just dumb luck.

Nevertheless there will be people who buy into the myth and treat a concept of national health care, like that of welfare, as a "Commie" notion (and Communism is bad, mmmokay? It stifles individual freedom and enterprise. Just see those poor Cubans suffer, with their superior health care and good food and music and cigars and rum --where were we?). The attitude is: "Why should I pay for someone else's health and social care?". Because one day that person may be paying for yours, you moron!

The notion of "success and achievement by self-sufficiency and hard work" is just a veneer for a self-centered attitude --each for himself, winner takes all. The Wild West was never really won.

It is how you spend the money that makes the difference, not how much.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

maybe you yankees should stop your government funding a war and spend the cash on a public health service.

The UK and the US both have the problem of fat cats at the top taking to much cash off the little guys. and insurance is one of the biggest money making cons in history. yes we need it considering the problem we would have if we didn't have it, but imagin if you went though life paying out thousands of dollars or pounds on insurance and never to claim!

so far i have spent £4000 on car insurance and not had to make a claim, makes me sick in many ways! maybe i should just have one massive pile up and cash in on it all! lol!

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Believe me, I wish we could. And I wish it were a true democracy instead of a republic.

10. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

lol, rather harsh mate. As E.E.L. implied, the people essentially have no say over what goes on...

I have never experienced the stateside medical care, though the idea of my operation being subject to privatised insurance companies never seemed like a good idea... Personally, I've always been a supporter of a National Health Service...

though I do suppose, anyone who decides to go for private healthcare should not have to also pay tax for the NHS... and thus, perhaps, we lead on to my idea that we should be told what exactly our taxes go towards...

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I wonder where Canada is on that list ....

12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I would be willing to bet canada isn't much better off. I dont bother going to the doctor anymore. I just talk to the medic we have at the plant I work at. no waiting in line that way.

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Think of it as paying extra for a few extra comforts and a shorter wait at times. After all, the private patient uses the same equipment in the same hospital as the NHS patient, so should help fund the capital and running costs.

14. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

err, dude......you have a little froth around the mouth....no, to the left.

15. Nexxo

Is it gone now?

Sorry, went off the rails there for a moment. But I did say some Americans. ;)

Last edited: 18 Jul 2008
  16. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

George W. Bush said, "We have the greatest health care in the world."

There is nothing that this man has ever done that would make me doubt his pronouncement.

:rolleyes:

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

completely agree!!! DAMN SOME YANKS!!!!!! :p

18. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

19. Nexxo

Film at Eleven. :D