1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors US vs EU: Who's best (no flaming)

Discussion in 'General' started by losermeetsworld, 18 May 2006.

1. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

somebodys been watching too much top gear.

2. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

??

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Typically, about when do you hit 200mph in regular driving? I'd like to know.

4. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

supercars arent for regular driving....

5. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

typically when do you need more than 70hp and about 70 torques?
    hell how many times a year do you use a jack or hazard lights, or if you're a emfree driver indicators?

hell lets not stop there . why do you need the PC you're posting on? surely you don't really need that or the widescreen telly or 99% of modern day items. lets all go live in caves like Neanderthal man.

6. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Exactly. But that '67 Stang with the big V8 is.

7. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

the top speed is a small part of the super car package.

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

As finboz will testify, after I bored him for half an hour today, telling him about the sound from a Ferrari F430 that overtook me on the motorway today

9. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Ok lest see. The s7 does over 200mph Its been tested to do so. The c6zo6 has been tested to 196mph.

The vette may be a front engined car but its got a transaxle giving it almost 50/50 weight distribution.

Solstice isnt a lotus elise. Get over it, its its own chasi desegn and built. The fiero was not pants. Its still killing in autocross. Leaf springs went out since the mid 80's. The vette goes as far as having 1000/s adjustable solid liquid suspension.

Been in merc's, nothing on a caddy. Ive been in 30 year old caddys that are way better than a new merc. The newer caddies as as comfortable as it gets period.

Gm whether it is or not going to the scrap yard is still larger than anything else. I highly doubt gm is going to the scrap heap just yet. If you havent noticed toyota/nissan/honda are adopting the american style of car building. All their engines are getting larger.

In any case you are watching way too mutch top gear. And you seem to ignore the dominance the vettes have brought fourth in grand turing with their inferior engines and everything else.

Also look up the one of a kind 1988 corvette sledgehammer. 250mph+ in 1988.

10. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

do you know what bespoke means sonny?

11. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Made to tailor. And saleen does that too. Whats your point? So does cadillac.

Dude your younger than me. Your calling me sonny?

12. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Summed up Piratetaco's arguement. Why are you hating American cars so much? A true motorhead respects all vehicles. A fanboy bitches and whines about cars they dislike.

13. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

could not have said that better myself.

keep in mind when you get in an american car with some muscle all of those specs, design parameters, hate and other BS goes right out the window and you go further into the seat. :rock: Do yourself a favor get in a c6 z06 and ask the guy to push the pedal on the right.

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

LOADS of european cars meet your emmision regulations, and they're still higher bhp per litre.

I think it's been said elsewhere in here: Americans make great muscle cars, but they're NOT sports cars. Americans are useless at makimng sports cars.

I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with that.. it's just true. I like muscle cars as much as I like european sports cars. I plan on getting a mustang soon.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Power is not the only factor either. Chassis design also... american cars dont handle. You're still making new performance cars with live axles and leaf springs!!!! We stopped doing that about 30 years ago!!

Americans can't make sports cars anymore then we can make muscle cars. Different outlook, different design philosophies, different market requirements.

Anyway... can we get this thread back on topic? If this carries on we'll need to split it, as this is meant to be a photo thread of what you drive, not a who makes teh best cars thread.

15. Altron

Altron Minimodder

You ever ridden in a GTO with a huge engine, a racing suspension, and slicks?

If those things don't handle well, I don't know what does. You can be going 40mph, floor it for five seconds, and take a right-angle turn without losing control. Being in the passenger seat with a driver who knows how to handle it makes going on a roller coaster safe and cozy. I didn't even know it was possible for such a large object to change directions so quickly and at such a high speed.

16. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Apples and oranges again I'm afraid, can't compare a factory car to one with racing suspension and slicks.

17. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Yeah, Mitsubishi GTO's are nice cars, a guy I used to work with had one.

18. Altron

Altron Minimodder

a)
    It's a Pontiac GTO. No relation to Mitsubishi.
    Unless you're talking about the new GTO, which the one I was in isn't.

b)
    Do you really expect a 40 year old car to be anywhere close to stock?
    This car was racing before Honda started making cars.

c)
    Nowhere do you see foreign cars that last as long as American ones. We're discussing a 40 year old car that can easily blow away nearly any <$50k car currently in production

19. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

b) Apples and oranges :sigh:
    c) I agree, American cars with the big displacement, low output (relatively) engines seem to last forever.

20. Altron

Altron Minimodder

European sports cars just don't give you the same kind of feeling. Sure, it might be the faster car on paper, but driving down Main Street in your turbocharged Honda just doesn't net the same awe as driving down Main Street in your '66 GTO with the top down.

The power, style, and durability of those classic American muscle cars are things you don't see anymore, and that's what makes them so great. Gone are the days of 7.4L triple-carbureted V8s, huge cars covered in chrome, and <$1/gal gas.

Tags: