1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage USB 3.0 Backup HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M_1008, 21 Oct 2011.

1. M_1008

M_1008 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I´m starting to have tooo many files I don´t wanna lose (18 mpx raws weight a ton) without a proper backup and I don´t want to have to shoot myself in the case of a hard drive failure.

It´s time for a real backup and these are my needings:
    - 2.5" external case
    - USB 3.0
    - Powered by the USB cable itself
    - 512 GB – 1TB
    - Mechanical HD (SSD will be great, but my plan of becoming the master of the Universe and therefore rich is going surprisingly slow)

Looks easy, but there are too many options in the market and I´d love to hear your opinions about cases and the drives itself because I´m a little lost.

On the other hand, I have an Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard wich lacks USB 3.0 so I´m getting an PCI Xpress USB 3.0 card too. I´ve seen models from Conceptronic to Sharkoon costing from ten to twenty pounds and I don´t get what are the difference that justifies that extra cost (especially when the PCB layout seems to be exactly the same in that two examples).

Thank you in advance.

PSD: As usual, excuse me about my poor english.

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Price range?

3. M_1008

M_1008 What's a Dremel?

Taking in account that 2,5" HDs cost less than 80 pounds, I guess that 100-120 pounds is more than a reasonable top for the HD+enclosure+pci card pack.

But, as always, the cheaper, the better.

EDIT: Loved your HD case mods, simple but great job.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2011
  4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Is there any reason why it needs to be 2.5", USB 3.0, and powered by USB?

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

A USB 2.0 HDD plugged into a USB 3.0 port works well, i transferred 20gb of data in next to no time.

Sent from Bittech Android app

6. M_1008

M_1008 What's a Dremel?

The main reason for the USB powering is that I don´t like powerbricks, I already have too many of them, a single cable keep things more tidy. Being 2.5" it will draw less current making it more possible to be in a single cable, are easier to transport and.. emm.. they look very cute, lol.

Connecting an USB 2.0 HDD to an 3.0 port will not limit the transfer to 2.0 speeds?

Correct me if I´m wrong, please.

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Not sure, I found that it ran much faster than when it was connected to a USB 2.0 port. Put it this way I transfered several folders with large amounts of files around 20 gigs of data in around 20 minutes.

I havent tried any larger. And it was a 2.5" HDD from a laptop I was using.

8. M_1008

M_1008 What's a Dremel?

That´s more or less the speeds I get transfering files from an SD card to my HD trough USB 2.0 and it seems pretty slow to me.

Each time I copy the whole card looks an eternity and doubling the time in order to do the backup doesn´t look very atractive :/

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder