1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage USB 3.0 speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by academica, 5 Jun 2012.

1. academica

academica What's a Dremel?

I bought a notebook Pavilion dv6-7025tx with Intel i7-3610QM processor, which has native USB 3.0 support. I attached an external disk Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex with USB 3.0, which has Maximum External Data Transfer Rate of 640 MBps (5 Gbps) according to http://www.provantage.com/seagate-staa1000101~7SEGS252.htm. However Windows 7 Home Premium x64 says the transfer speed (when copying) is 99 MBps.

Would anyone kindly explain the 6 times slower transfer rate of USB 3.0

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Hard drive limitation. Mechanical hard drives can only go so fast and that's generally around 100MBps for most drives. You've fallen prey to a bit or marketing, that's the theoretical maximum for the USB 3.0 connection. You're very unlikely to ever see that sort of speed even if you got an external SSD.

PocketDemon likes this.
  3. academica

academica What's a Dremel?

Thank you, noizdaemon666 for your time to answer my question. Obviously the trades people advertise the theoretical values and it's the user's responsibility to find out the real values of things we buy.

4. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

You are still getting significantly more speed than you would with a USB 2 drive, if that's any consolation.