1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals USB 3.0 = SS USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skutbag, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Skutbag

Skutbag New Member

Have I already missed the boat on this one?

Just found out that the new version of USB will be called SS USB (Superspeed usb) as opposed to what we all basically assumed, which was simply USB 3.0. Because it's the third one. And because anything else would be a bit unintuitive.

Another baffling step from the hardware industry. People were pre-emptively calling it USB 3 before it even existed, but some marketing berk probably insisted that that simply wasn't cool enough. It's cousin, Wireless-USB (WUSB) is okay now, but is that going to become SS-W-USB when they make it faster?

Oh, there's another one- SD cards above a certain capacity are officially called SD-HC (high capacity) cards. Except no-one except the super nerds of the world actually use the term. It reminds me of a time an old uni lecturer asked us the question: 'Has anyone here seen the film Cicade de deus?' to which I mentally replied 'No, but I have seen CITY OF GOD. You massive ponce.'

So, SS USB gets added to the pile of truly useless jargon. Unless it's in some way connected to the ruthless Nazi military types of a similar two letter designation. Scary, but at least it would have a point.

2. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

SD HC is actually useful, a lot of older things can't use them and the HC means 4GB or more. It is similar to the whole 4GB ram requiring a 64 bit OS thing.

With the naming of USB, all the previous generations have had names too so I don't see how this is any different. there is Low Speed, Full Speed, Hi Speed

pimonserry likes this.
  3. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

SuperSpeed USB is USB 3.0.

It's the same as when you plugged a device into a USB1.0 port on an XP machine, it would say 'Did you know this could perform faster on a HiSpeed USB 2.0 port?'

I think they're just continuing the trend. So the new standard will be known as SuperSpeed USB 3.0 (or most likely USB 3 to most people, or just USB to those not computer-literate).

Also, I have an micro SD HC card in my phone, and I know that most phones that take micro SD don't support SD HC. So it is a useful term. +1 to Cupboard, it requires different tech, similar to 64bit operating systems being able to handle ridiculous amounts of RAM compared to 32bit.

And yes, I do consider myself a super nerd :geek: :lol:

4. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

USB explained:
    USB 1.0 is low speed USB.
    USB 1.1 is full speed.
    USB 2.0 is hi speed, USB 3.0 is super speed.

USB 1.0/1.1 host controllers are UHCIs and OHCIs. (speed limitations were device imposed, not host controller imposed IIRC)
    USB 2.0 controllers are EHCIs
    USB 3.0 controllers are XHCIs.

USB 1.0/low speed has a 1.5 megabit per second data transfer rate
    USB 1.1/full speed has a 12 megabit per second data transfer rate
    USB 2.0/hi speed has a 480 megabit per second data transfer rate
    USB 3.0/super speed will have a 5 gigabit per second data transfer rate

It helps separate the bandwidth from the spec revisions and clears up confusion in the engineering world. The low/full/hi/super speed names are supposed to be the consumer friendly terms.

As for SDHC, it is similar to using a name rather than a spec revision. The SD size limit was based on the allowed block and cluster sizes which was tied to how the card IDed itself to the system. SDHC changes this, and the current 2.0 revisin allows for up to 32GB.

It's not a big conspiracy, just marketing vs engineering.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You said that to a university lecturer? This is why more people should be kicked out in first year.:nono:

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

super-speed is just the marketing name, everybody will still call it USB 3. just like high-speed USB is always referred to as USB 2 by anybody who isn't a best-buy salesperson.

pimonserry likes this.
  7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

So when will we start seeing hyper-fast USB3.0 flash drives and mobo's to use 'em?

8. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Except most devices can't handle more than 8GB (if that) :(

*cough*

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

My bad. 'poligies. I still think more people should be kicked outta uni though xD

10. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

They *might* be upgradable via firmware like some SD based devices going from 1gig to more than 1 gig SD support But it would all depend on the implementation.
    But that is not my area of industry, so I don't know what manufacturers have planned.

The university thing is something I could rant on for hours. The course mentioned in the first post sounds like an arts course. Those are far more about opinion and history than a lab type course dependent on gathering empirical data from a repeatable experiment.

In consumer land, art and science collide and we get marketing as hand waving to hide the engineering from those who are uncomfortable with it.

So a consumer will see a USB port and may not know what those numbers and dot after USB means. The port is still the same rectangular job, can't we just plug stuff in? So it's a bit like gasoline/petrol branding. Not everyone may understand the octane ratings of 87, 89, or 91 (via the (R+M)/2 method, I'm not familiar with European RON ratings). But they do know regular, plus, and premium (or some variation thereof). So look at it like that, you see "95 octane", but someone else might see "super premium".

It will be a little while, AFAIK, Intel only just hammered out the XHCI implementation. From what Intel has said, it is not part of their new southbridge, so it won't be in chipsets this year based on when they said to expect their next platform.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2009
    notatoad likes this.