1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other USB-C Power Bank recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElThomsono, 30 Jul 2019.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get a power bank in the 20,000 mAh bracket. It needs to be able to be recharged over USB-C as that's what our phones use and I'd like to keep things neat like that.

I'm not afraid to spend money but only if I know it will be a quality product, however it's a bit of a minefield and the tech is moving fast.

Current contender is an Anker PowerCore+ 21000, but it's not ideal by the looks of it.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Out of curiosity, why is the PowerCore+ not ideal?

Honestly, with your requirements, I'd be looking at that exact thing. I've got an almost literal dozen Anker chargers for the wall, at least a dozen Anker USB cables, and one of the smaller (older) PowerCore things and not one of their products has ever given me a reason to reconsider the rest. My biggest complaint is that they don't do something that'll recharge a Surface..

3. ElThomsono

Looks good on paper, but reports of the charge socket breaking, and it seems if it's charging a device over the USB-C and runs out, it will then default to charging itself back up off that device.

I'm not too likely to do that, but I'd rather something with a bit more intelligence. I've got a few Anker cables, can't really fault them but the build quality could stand to be a bit better?

I'll buy it if I don't get any better suggestions, however.

4. liratheal

Ahh, well, yes that does sound both irritating and un-good for something that's not cheap.

The only other stuff I've looked at at any great length is this bunch: https://jgotech.com/ Primarily for their USB-c to Surface connector and the 45w "The Tanker" battery pack. It seems, based on what few reviews I could find, decent enough but I've never had the disposable cash necessary for it. Owing to never really running my Surface flat.

ElThomsono likes this.
  5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I have an iMuto 20,000 mAh Powerbank. It's a couple of years old now but still holds around 95% of it's original charge. With it being an older version it doesn't have USB-C and a downside is that it's quite heavy.

Based on my experience with my older one I'd recommend looking at this one

ElThomsono likes this.
  6. ElThomsono

Thanks for the advice, it was a bit of a toss-up between the Anker and the iMuto (J Go Tech seem to be more a US thing?) but I've just ordered the Anker as it seems to be a known quantity and I just wanted it done.

Xiaomi do a nice one, USB-C charging, smaller capacity but smaller price but I'm not buying it in rose gold.

Cheers chaps :thumb:

liratheal likes this.
  7. liratheal

Yeah, they are a us bunch - but sadly no one this side of the pond has something that Anker doesn't that I also want so it's as far as I ever look.

Hope the Anker works out for you!

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

I have the non-usb C version of this and I like it. It's small and it works well.

9. ElThomsono

Yeah, I had one of their 10,000mAh ones in silver brushed steel, but lost it. It was a nicely made bit of kit and I had confidence in it.

This new one is for Laura's maternity bag for the hospital, she can't be trusted to charge things but will probably want the use of her phone throughout :lol:

10. ElThomsono

[​IMG]

It's arrived, reassuringly heavy :hehe: