1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V USB DAC AMP with switchable output?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David, 29 May 2018.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ok I've been making do with onboard audio for a good while and I'm tired of it.

I recently plugged in a tiny little USB card from an old Creative headset and hooked it up to a Soundblaster E3 that I picked up super cheap, and it sounds immeasurably better than my onboard.

However, I'm not thrilled by the limitations and I figure a decent external stand-alone USB DAC AMP combo thingy would be a better option than any other soundcard/onboard solution. First of all they are free from the crosstalk/interference with the PC chassis, they require no drivers and are pretty much universally compatible with whatever setup I want to use.

So why am I here?

I want an external USB DAC AMP with a switchable output, so I can swap between my headset (to be replaced by decent phones eventually) and a pair of bookshelf speakers either side of my monitor.

Oh, and I'd like to keep things sensible, price-wise. So, under £100 what be great and under £75 would be awesome.

Any ideas, experience, suggestions, generally mockery or trademark Bit-Tech thread derailment?

2. David

Is a Xonar U5 the simple answer here?

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Orange and vanilla cheesecake...

[From what I can see, the u5 is indeed probably your best bet]

David likes this.
  4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i have the ns 10g version, best £25 i took a punt on.

David likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There is this. It is not switchable but it has two outputs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIFI-A2-...hash=item3f7bccc7e1:m:m_aNcGNVMjs037xBdtUbspA

And then of course there is the cheap way.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Ja...310716640?epid=1467001813&hash=item1c0313d8e0

Personally here is what I would do.

I would use the E3 as a sound device for your speakers. Get yourself one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Isolator-H...27676864&sr=8-4&keywords=ground+loop+isolator

Run that into your speakers. Then get whatever USB Amp/DAC you want and then simply switch them in Windows. Click on the speaker in the tray, click the arrow and it will bring up the sound devices, then simply switch it there.

[​IMG]

At home I have about 7 sound devices I can switch through whenever I like.

David likes this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Try a Behringer UCA-202 (NwAvGuy review). £20 for a 2-in-2-out USB audio interface; has phono inputs, phono outputs, 3.5mm headphone socket, and headphone volume control. You'd need a separate amp for the speakers but £20 leaves a lot of headroom in your budget for an inexpensive amp.

My UCA-202 has been one of the best pieces of audio equipment I've ever purchased. It implements the standard USB audio class so it has worked on literally every system/OS I've thrown it at: Windows, Linux, Mac OS, tablets, phones, Raspberry Pis, and even the b@st@rd love child of tablet and digital photo frame the O2 Joggler.

EDIT: "b@st@rd" as in "illegitimate offspring", not b@st@rd as in "you unpleasant person"... Thank you swear filter...

David likes this.
  7. David

A mate at work is lending me his Xonar u5 tomorrow, for a couple of days. Nice chap that he is.

I'll see if that ticks the boxes first, then I'll explore some of the options in this thread. Thanks all.

8. RedFlames

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

10. RedFlames

np, thought it might come in handy for someone...

11. David

Ok, got home, plugged in my mate's Xonar u5, ordered one 15 minutes later.

It may not be the latest and greatest in audiophile equipment, but neither are my ears, and it is markedly better than listening to onboard audio.

Vault-Tec, Byron C and RedFlames like this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If it works for you and you like the sound that comes out of it then I'd call that a win, regardless of whether or not it was hand-assembled by naked virgins with blessed & anointed components. Most "audiophile" stuff is seriously overpriced and objectively indistinguishable from cheaper equipment. Quality does matter for analogue signals, but that doesn't mean you have to pay £1300 for a speaker cable.

13. David

There's no doubt in my mind that some high end stuff is worth it, but much of it is just for epeen w@nking and absolutely pointless unless you have perfect hearing.

I do intend to cough up for better headphones but my eyes will be set firmly on the "good for the money" review scores.

Vault-Tec and Byron C like this.