Peripherals USB devices cause Windows 7 to freeze on loading screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 6 Dec 2017 at 21:22.

1. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Thought I might post this here as it dawned on me it could be considered a hardware problem.

So, I rolled back to Windows 7 on one of my PCs and (almost) couldn't be happier. Problem is, when I leave one or two specific devices attached, Windows freezes during the loading screen. I googled it and Micro$oft's 'solution' is the typical turn it off and on again crap - which doesn't work! So far I just unplug them when turning the PC off and plugging them back in when Windows loads again, but I'd rather have a solution that doesn't require me to do this.

Anyone remember how to solve this issue? Interestingly enough, it used to rear it's head every once in a while with Win 10.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

USB Controller driver spitting its dummy out? Anything show up in reliability history?

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Turn off and switch off PSU and then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds+, I think it's supposed to fully discharge the capacitors. I've a vague idea this fixed a problem for me years ago.

Alternatively uninstall the USB ports/hubs from within Device Manager (mouse last if possible) and let them reinstall after a reboot.

Do any of the devices require a powered port/hub e.g. hard drive? if so try another power supply and/or hub.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

If this is your joystick/pedals then it could be that they have a little bit of flash memory for storing settings and so on and Windows is getting itself confused and mistaking them for USB flash drives. If you set the boot order in BIOS so that USB devices are after your SSD/HDD, does that solve the problem? Does it make any difference whether these devices are plugged into USB 3 or USB 2 ports?

Alternatively, you can get USB hubs with individual on/off switches for each port, so you could use one of these and manually switch the devices off when you reboot, which would at least save a lot of plugging/unplugging...

5. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

Disable legacy USB support in the BIOS?

6. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Install win10 :idea::grin:

Try other usb ports, some come from CPU some come from PCH, might be a block diagram in your mobo manual, you might have better luck from one over the other.

In days of old I used to have to use an add in USB controller to get around bugs in a Via chipset.

7. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Hmm, will try suggestions tonight hopefully - other than installing Windows 10 :hehe:

In all seriousness, going back to Windows 7 is a pleasure. Once again I feel in control of my PC. I'm still wondering about reinstalling Windows 7 on the lounge rig - it needs a fresh install anyway.

8. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Win10 is great, everything works well, can't understand peoples problems with it, what weren't you in control of? can't think of anything worse than going back to 7 well apart from going back to Vista.

Biggest problem with Win10 is Win store, but just like everyone elses store nothing seems to match Steam.

On the USB front also check your port condition, for movement etc, one of my front panel port failed as was a source of PC problems I couldn't understand for a while until I accidently stumbled upon the ability to power off my PC by wiggling whatever was plugged into said port.

9. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

There were just lots of little things that annoyed me on Windows 10. One example is that for some reason, my microphone works fine in Windows 7 in Teamspeak, yet in Win 10, it seems to have real issues with getting the auto activation levels right. No, much happier now.