1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning USB hub SSD enclosure combo

Discussion in 'Modding' started by legoman, 28 Dec 2018.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Basically its this ideas come about from my new case, its very small which is great but, its lacking a couple of bits I use more than I thought..

Basic idea is to make a powered USB hub using one/two of the USB 3.1 ports out the back of the PC, seeing as I only use two of the six its not like I'm going to run out. Thinking two as one just for the SSD.

Rough plan (no sketches yet this is purely a brain out pouring from last night)

Enclosure made from wood as it ties in with the desk and PC case, plus I can easily work wood
    USB hub two or three ports would actually be plenty
    SSD enclosure as I use it for photo storage from shoots

Was thinking I can easily do the enclosure by getting one and gutting it for the gubbins inside.
    Hub may be a little more tricky. My thinking is if I purchased a cheap powered hub and then de soldered the headers and extended them to where I need them.
    Possibly make the unit with a headphone jack not hard to do, I've made jacks and cables like those in the past.

Size wise quite low and flat to sit under the PC case so when I plug things in it doesn't move

Sound doable? My only minor concern is the SSD temps but I can probably sort something.