1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals USB K/M Switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by liratheal, 26 Mar 2020.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, that's a bit of a pest.

Not as annoying as my Linx doing a Windows 10 update earlier today that seems to have broken Bluetooth entirely!

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I have a couple of the boggy standard Chinese ones I'll be trying very soon. With a greedy keyboard mouse and headset.

I'll report my findings.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Also entertained as an option! I don't fancy replacing my keyboard/mouse though, as I'd want a wireless version of the G502, and a wireless mechanical board..

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Usually the problem with KVM's and gaming keyboards & mice is the polling rate - legacy KVM's don't seem to be able to handle the high polling rate of modern gaming devices.

I had an Aten DVI/USB 2 port KVM years ago (still have it somewhere), for it to work with gaming devices I had to run it in "USB mode" rather than K/B emultation mode - it had a BIOS you could switch.

I have also used an Avocent and a Belkin, both worked fine but I needed to upgrade to HDMI instead of DVI. After a ton of research, and avoiding hugley expensive alternatives, I landed on the TECsmart which work really well. I have the 4 port - which is only about £25 more than the 2 port so worth it for future proofing - and it has been perfect since day one and I use it daily with 4 PC's.

The only limitation is that it can only pass through video at 60Hz so higher resolutuion gaming monitors will only display at 60Hz.

Well worth the money if it fits the bill.

liratheal likes this.
  5. liratheal

It definitely looks good - but the 60hz thing might be a pain as I kind of want to see what this freesync thing is about, it'll no doubt be fruitless as 60hz has been good enough for me for a decade, but I'm on the cusp of a new monitor, just ordered a new gpu, and so on.

I've opted for, for the time being, a Sabrent usb3 manual switch jobbie - the suggestions here gave me better search terms. If it doesn't do the trick exactly then I at least have a bundle of parts to make my own, which is something else I looked into.

I do, however, have one of those bookmarked for future consideration, should what I ordered now not do the trick.

6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I have been using the following for almost a year. https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Sharing-Keyboard-Scanner-Printer-Black/dp/B01N6GD9JO Switching between machines is quick and responsive. Only issue I have noted is it doesn't always connect with high power loads such as my external hard drives (although that might be the laptop, I need to do more testing). Currently it is connected to a Logitech MX518 mouse, Steelseries 6GV/2 keyboard, Dell AC511 sound bar, and a powered usb 3.0 hub. The hub is used for temporary items, phone, memory sticks, external HDs, etc and is solved the power issue.
    I have the switch located under my monitor and I can easily reach the button to switch the destination.
    [​IMG]

liratheal and Vault-Tec like this.
  7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

wyx087 likes this.
  8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Thanks. I think I'll get this one for reasons listed below. Similar part, for £1 more I get 4 inputs rather than 2.

9. liratheal

Okay, the Sabrent doodad I bought (USB-SW30) does what I need with a USB hub plugged into it. It's about as fast as the switching inputs on the monitor, and since it was cheap I didn't feel bad about splitting the plastic case, putting a hole in it, and screwing it to the bottom of the desk. No apparent issues with passing through the mouse and keyboard to their respective controller software.

Now, let's see how long it lasts.

wyx087 likes this.