1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Keaybords

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taliban_raider, 19 Jun 2003.

1. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

I heard USB keyboards were no good. Is this true? Becuas eI need a keyboard and the ps/2 connector is loose on my mobo and sometimes I have to jiggle the cable so usb would be better but if they are no good I wont buy one.

2. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

:confused: no good in what way?
    i don't notice any difference except i can use the usb ports on my keyboard for camera's and stuff

3. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

A friend told me You have problems getting em to recognise in boot and they stuff up easier and stuff and jsut plain crap.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

my apple pro is lovely, but yea, the bios thing is annoying. It has problems with not recognising it sometiems. Other than that i like my apple usb kb :)

5. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

In the older days USB keyboards (and mice) couldn't be used for a windows install as the usb drivers werent supported out of the box on an installation stage but since ME (not sure on win98se install) all the Microsoft OSes can be installed with usb keyboard. Also it is the stigma of doing a bios flash from dos without usb keyboard support but I do believe bios support for usb keyboard overcomes this but not having a usb keyboard I can't comment.
    So I do believe you friend is talking in only limited situations then a usb keyboard would be a disadvantage.

6. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

To get a good USB keyboard you need to get a 'true' usb keyboard such as a Apple Pro etc. Cheap usb keyboards are atually ps2 keyboards with the ps2 to USB converter built in which causes detection problems in certain makes of bios.

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

you can usually set usb keyboard support in bios, then it doesnt actually matter in DOS :D