1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows USB mouse problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by imperium, 17 Feb 2015.

1. imperium

imperium What's a Dremel?

Greetings folks,

I've have recently purchased a new PC and have been having problems with my Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse. Sometimes I boot and it doesn't start up, other times it is fine. No pointer appears and the red light underneath my mouse does not turn on. The only way I can overcome the problem is by either disconnecting and reconnecting the USB or rebooting, but this is an annoying solution.

I've accessed the device manager while my mouse is unresponsive and under Human Interface Devices > Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse I receive a yellow triangle, so I went into properties and received a This device cannot start (code 10) error. I decided to uninstall and reinstall the driver and I thought everything was okay, but it has just happened again. I'm having no problems with any of the other devices. I've tried swapping USB ports to no avail.

I only own one mouse and this happened on my previous PC with this same mouse. Could this be a problem with the mouse itself?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Short answer: Yes.

If it's happened on two unrelated PCs it is almost definitely the mouse.

3. imperium

imperium What's a Dremel?

Hi noizdaemon666, thank you for your reply.

I gave my previous PC to my mother and she is using a Logitech mouse and hasn't had any problems whatsoever. I'll purchase a new mouse and see what happens. :thumb: