1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks USB Networking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ranger Loki, 17 Feb 2002.

1. Ranger Loki

Ranger Loki What's a Dremel?

Please help me guys, I have been on MANY forums asking this and NO friggin answers except lame little things like "Why USB, blahblahblah...

Sorry but I am just REALLY needing this, I need to Network these 2 PC's up through a USB connection. I would also need to get Internet shared between them.

Thanks for any help

2. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

i it possible, and i like anyone else, would reccomend against it, but sometimes if it's the only way to do something, then it's the only good way to do something i suppose.

You cannot just connect two computers via USB with a strange cable plugged end to end, you need to buy a kit which has a little box in the middle of the cable. It also uses much special software (and i doubt it will work in anything except windows btw.)

i saw one at a computer fair about a year ago, you'll be lucky to get hold of them these days because everyone will be using Ethernet or Firewire.

good luck in finding one....

oh, alternatively,

you can get USB-ethernet adapters. They cost about £40 each

then all you need is a crossover cable, low cost.

3. dhcp

dhcp What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I have never come across anyone trying to connect two PC's via a USB before. Is there a reason why at all?
    You can get cheap 10/100 cards these days for under a tenner.

Any probs, please post and I will see if I can provide more info.

:D

4. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

perhaps he wants to link up a laptop and doesn't want to spend money on an pcmcia ethernet adaptor

5. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

We sell a cable that does it in Mappers for about 30 quid, you would be surprised how many we sell. In a lot of cases it's people afraid of opening the case because they believe it invalidates the warranty!

6. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Last edited: 20 Feb 2002
  7. Ranger Loki

Ranger Loki What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, but too late:D

No foums seemed to have posted an answer within 24 hours of making the post so I had to do it the hard way

Tags: