1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V USB Powered DAC Recommendations? [Digital optical cable question - post 15]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Unicorn, 29 Apr 2014.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm hoping some of our audiophiles here can recommend a good USB powerable DAC. I want to use this with an MC414 Airport Express. I've looked at the Cambridge DACMagic 100, but it's a 12v 2A unit which is far too thirsty for my application. I also looked at the Audioengine D1 which is USB powered and has gotten fairly good reviews, including some when used with an AE.

Does anyone use a USB powered DAC at the moment, and if so, which one would you recommend?

Last edited: 12 May 2014
  2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This topic arouses my interest as well... posted to sub :)

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

First and foremost I must say that I am in no way an "audiophile". With all of the negative connotations that brings. I don't cryo-treat power cables, place special stones on top of my fridge or hold parties to test whether one speaker cable is better than another.

I do appreciate good music, and do appreciate how a well considered hifi setup can make good music sound even better. My insurance company would be in to me for five figures if someone was to break in to my house and steal everything related to delivering good music to my ears, and in that way I could be considered a hi-fi enthusiast, but an "audiophile" I am not.

Anyway... :D

I use an Arcam pPac (plumbed to Tannoy Reveal Active monitors) in my office and have found it most excellent, especially for the money, bettering a Beresford 7510 and an Audiolab MDAC to my ears. Do note that there's another thread on this very forum linking to an article that argues the point that an external DAC is nonsense at the same time, so take my input with a pinch of salt.

EDIT: And now you may entirely disregard my comments, and I see you want a USB powered DAC, but not an actual USB DAC. Nothing to see here.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2014
  4. Unicorn

USB Powered DAC Recommendations?

Haha, yes it should preferably be USB power-able like the Audioengine one I mentioned. I have access to 5v and 12v DC to power it which might widen the possibilities? The 2A of the Cambridge is pretty high though, I don't think I could run that. I should do some testing to discover how high a load I can actually run on the power source, but a 5v DAC would be ideal.

5. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

6. Unicorn

Well, at only £30 the D03K is certainly worth a try before I drop £160 on an Audioengine one! Good call, I've ordered one and will let you know how it sounds when I get it set up :)

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Does the D03K have an amp built in? I'm really after an amp for my headphones. I have the E6 which is great for portable, but of course no good as a desktop solution (it hisses when being charged with USB).

8. Unicorn

No amplifier in the Fiio as far as I know - I don't need one for this setup, I'm using an external amp for the speakers I'm putting this through.

9. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Has it turned up yet unicorn ??
    How's the eye ??

10. Unicorn

Sorry I didn't notice your reply to this thread sooner! Put that down to the eye as well ;) It's much better thanks, still taking painkillers and treating the infection with ointment which is mostly cleared up now. Full focus hasn't returned yet, but it's good enough to drive and work, so I started back to today and promptly got swamped by a week of backlog :hehe:

Anyway, the DAC arrived at the start of the week but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'll be installing it on Saturday and will let you know what it's like.

Last edited: 9 May 2014
  11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

12. Unicorn

Thanks for the suggestions doc, but it needs to be powered by USB and have a digital optical input, not actually a USB DAC.

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

oh shoot, missed that

how's the D03K? did it arrive?

14. Unicorn

I still haven't had a chance to install it :waah: Might get a chance to do it tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work.

15. Unicorn

USB Powered DAC Recommendations?

I finally got it installed earlier, there's a mini work log coming today or tomorrow to show what I've used it for, but I'll just say for now that the D03K is awesome! I can't believe something so small can make such a difference to audio clarity but it really does! At £30 it's an absolute steal too!

[edit]

I'm in need of a very short TOSLINK optical cable. Does anyone know where I could order one from? I know some places will make a cable up to whatever length you need it. I need one that's only about 15cm long.

Last edited: 12 May 2014