1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks USB Soundcard recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adrock, 7 Feb 2017.

1. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

So I've upgraded my scarlett 2i4 to a 6i6 (for important latency reasons) and i'm very pleased with it.

I am having issues with the fact both have different drivers that seem to be getting mixed up, and the 6i6 isn't really intended to be sued for general system sound. Ideally I'd keep using them together with the 2i4 doing my general system default output, games etc, while the 6i6 handles my mic and whatever inputs. but switching between them is a lot of hassle and results in crashes :(

Can anyone recommend a replacement usb card i can sub in for the 2i4? I think my requirements are:
    - integrated headphone amplifier; nothing amazing but capable of driving 250ohm (how do you type na ohm again?) headphones.
    - either a built in speaker amp or a pre-amp output i can run to the existing speaker amp.
    - A Mic amp/input would be useful so i don't need the 6i6 on to run a mic for teamspeak, but it's not essential.

I've considered a schitt magni 2/modi2/sys stack; it prices up at $379 plus ~$60 shipping, plus import nonsense. Alternatively the Jotunheim with the DAC module would be $499 but includes balanced inputs and outputs which i might use down the line. The EU distributor has no stock :(

Anyone any recommendations on anything lower in price? There's obviously dozens of stereo in/out usb interfaces across a wide price range, so any personal recommendations of anything you've used, and possibly what with, would be appreciated.

2. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

I got an Asus Xonar Essence One and I am very happy with it. Ticks all the boxes except a mic. It's pricey though, more than what you're seeking for but ASUS Xonar Essence STU Sound card is cheaper.

Here's a review from head-fi.
    I'm sure others will weigh in with good choices, to be honest, Asus is my first and only DAC so I am limited on recommending others.

3. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

having an insomnia driven shop about, currently looking at the teac ud-301.

The Essence One is sadly out of my price range (Also shopping for new speakers for the hifi, possibly an amp to drive them, followed by new speakers for the desktop, possibly active monitors)

The STU looks tempting though and would tick all my boxes, i'll give it a closer look, thanks!

4. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Minimodder

Ive got a Behringer UFO202 and a Behringer UCA222. They are cheap and they work for me. These ones don't have a mic amp, but I think some of their others do.

5. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Minimodder

Ah just noticed they are not cards, so sorry not really applicable. Not in your price bracket either.