1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

usb unknown device HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jcm44, 13 Sep 2003.

1. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

okay so i have been setting a pc for just some general stuff and i wanted to have my front usb ports available for my two gravis gamepads. my motherboard didn't have the headers so i bought a usb 2.0 card with headers on it. i wasn't sure how the front usb wires connected so i took a few guesses. i finally got some reaction out of the controllers but my system was acting weird (like muting and unmuting constantly). i thought something else must still be wrong so i decided that i'd just go with using the back ports and sacrifice the front.

but...

i reboot the system and get no reaction from the gamepads. i unplugged them and moved them to the onboard usb and get "unknown device" (winxp). i quickly powered everything down and ran back to my other system and sadly got the same error on both controllers.

did i just screw myself?

please someone, for the love of god, help me.

2. penski

penski BodMod

Hardware...

*n

3. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

ive got a unknown hardware from my computer when i had 2 put the pins on my motherboards headers. i found that if the data cables are the wrong way round or the power cables are the wrong way round then USB devices dont work on that header (or show up as unknowns) i think that the power pins r on the ends and the data 1's r in the middle (unless u have 5 pin headers then the 2nd row from the right isnt used, ususally.)

4. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

yeah but now they don't work at all on any regular onboard usb.

5. Marzupial

Marzupial What's a Dremel?

I had this problem with a 128mb USB stick.

A friend built a new system which had 2 front USB ports, i plugged my USB stick in to transfer some files and XP couldnt identify the device. I then proceeded to try the stick on two more machines (one XP, one Me) and both couldnt detect it.

We tried a printer in the front port and this didnt work either, so we turned the port header around (internally) and the printer detected. My USB stick, still wouldnt though. It was still under guarantee so i got it replaced, but the port seemed to screw my USB stick up. It may have done the same with your gamepads.

6. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

If you guessed where to plug the cables into the headers and you managed to get the power cables swopped over with the data cables then i shouldnt have thought it would have liked it. Youve probably given 5V to something that didnt want it.

Take a good look in your mobo manual and you will see a clear wiring diagram.

7. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

read my first post again.

the only thing i think i could have done was reversed everything. i didn't put power to the data.

8. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

:eyebrow: ^^this is all you said in your first post!

9. DarkRain

DarkRain What's a Dremel?

Last time i got it hooked up wrong smoke started to appear.

Needless to say i never got it wrong again :duh:

10. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

sorry...

i left out the part the that the usb card had very unclean header instructions. their diagram didn't even match the card and their support page and number were useless.