1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple USB WiFi for OSX

Discussion in 'Software' started by Murdoc, 22 Nov 2005.

1. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

I have joined the Mac club with a 900Mhz G3 ibook, which I believe not to have an Airport card fitted. So my question is does anyone have experence with USB WiFi for OSX? I have seen a couple that say they work, but I'm after opinions.

Thanks

'doc

2. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Can't you buy the Airport card, or is there no expansion in the G3 'books?

Welcome to the club though tbh :p

3. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

The airport cards are discontinued therefore expensive and not any good for looking for AP's

'doc

4. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Be careful with the Ralink drivers. They don't seem to be particuarly good - I tried them with a Belkin USB 54g Wifi pen that had the ralink chipset, and it was as flakey as hell.

If the G3 has a PCMCIA slot, I'd use that rather than the USB.

6. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Thanks for having a look, on the D-Link website, they list that one as having no OS X support, you sure it works? I have been looking at the DWL-122 only b, I'm not sure If it will work with tiger.

'doc

EDIY: GOO, Unfortunatly the G3 ibook doesn't have a PCMCIA slot :/

Last edited: 23 Nov 2005
  7. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

8. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I believe so - if you're going to try it, you need rev 2.0 or 2000 and it's sometimes marked on the box - as this is the one with the ralink chipset.

9. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

I hope im not to late, but the dlink DWL-122, is useless, under osx its more trouble than its worth, DO NOT BUY, its rubbish, its caused me so much stress I gave up and chucked the pile of junk. Under windows its flakey, slow etc. Under osx you may as well just plug a coffee cup warmer in for all the wireless network it will recive. belive me I speak from expirence in both operating systems, including a G3 800mhz I book running os X.

10. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Thanks for the info, I was looking at that one, seems the most stable that I have read about too :/ What was your wireless solution in the end?

GOO, PCWorld have the belkin for ~£17 which isn't bad considering I can just got and pick it up, also easy to take back too. Might give one a go see if I have any more luck.

A picture is becoming clear.. USB wifi + OSX = headache :/

'doc

11. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

My airport card found lots of AP's, they're meant to have good range iirc. They are expensive tho :( Apple probally have just written OSX to be a pain in the arse with any usb / non apple wireless card, to make you fork out for their own kit.

12. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Half inch the airport card from your housemates ibook and tell her the AP is broken ;)

'doc

13. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

I'm sure the iBook has a connector for the Airport card, you could try ebay?

14. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

The airport on my iBook is pretty good. I think it's a) because of the plastic casing not insulating the signal and b) apparently there is an antenna in the casing for the screen which is obviously much bigger than your standard USB adapter antenna.

15. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

The airport card will fit the ibook thats not the issue the issue is the inflated price :/ If I can do it for a third of the price I'm going to have a go :p

When I say its not good for finding AP's I didnt finish what I was saying :/ What I really mean is its not meant to be as good for wardriving, but thats less of an issue for me.

'doc

16. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Wardriving? You mean getting into protected networks? You shouldn't be doing that anyway ;)

If you do, theres nothing stopping you downloading Kismac :)

I'm not complaining though, I've not had any problems what so ever with my current WiFi setup. Its a shoddy old 11mbps access point, Netgear ME102 I think, works great :)

17. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Kismac apparently can't function in passive mode with a Airport card, really all I want to do is to try to find wifi at uni. I will see if the belkin will work, if not I will take it back and get an airport card for chr1stmas or something.

'doc

18. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

I have come up with a solution to my problem, will post back with the results, just need my ibook first :D

'doc

19. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Care to share? :)

20. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Tags: