1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage USB3 external hard drive not working with new build

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by niro, 14 Jan 2014.

1. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

I built a new computer. It has Asus Z87-K motherboard and OS is Windows 7 64 bit. Problem is that my USB3 external hard drive is not working. I connect it and it says installing driver then comes up with driver installation failed.
    I have done the following troubleshooting:

- Uninstalled the 'mass storage device' under device manager, reconnected drive, but same issue
    - Uninstalled USB3 drivers, downloaded latest version from website (which is same version as came on the motherboard CD), reinstalled drivers, same issue
    - Checked under disk management, but it is not showing there
    - Tried the drive in USB2 port, not working there either. Tried in usb3 ports on both front of case and motherboard ports
    - Tried the drive in 2 laptops, picks up fine, works with no issues (laptops dont have any usb3 ports)
    - when i go to devices & printers, it shows the device under unidentified. When i go into the properties there it says drivers are up to date and device is functioning fine. I downloaded the western digital se driver from their website, and tried pointing to that, but it says windows has determined the device driver is already up to date.
    - I dont have any other usb3 storage device to test with.

Does anyone know the solution to this annoying problem please?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited: 14 Jan 2014
  2. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

If anyone was wondering or has the same issue. I used a micro usb cable and then the drive was picked up, but said it was unusable until it was formatted. So I am just going to get everything off of it and then format it on this computer, and see if it is picked up with the normal SS cable the drive came with