1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News USC students are a bunch of pirates - RIAA

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Jan 2007.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well you say that, but it's not demonstrably true. However, what we can acknowledge is that artists and companies can make money from ticket sales and merchandise.

2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

True. -Your comments remind me of the December 15 2005 column by Chris Caines (link).

My statement was a response was to: "Here anything is up for grabs. Music, Videos, Programs, just about anything that can be put on a computer." While I agree that the **aa are going to far I'm sure it's not ethical to pirate "just about anything that can be put on a computer".

Edit: started my post, left the computer, finished my post & posted it only to see that others have made the point and perhaps better than I did :thumb:

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Oh? I seem to remember the **AAs yelling about how "home taping is killing music". And now, as then, I hear the **AAs screaming about piracy, but in general not the bands themselves. Thye don't make their money on selling music but rather on the live performances. No one is going to not go to a show because they downloaded the CD, but it is very possible that they will go to see a band they downloaded but would never have paid for a CD from. As I see it, pirating is good for bands, but bad for the **AAs, and I don't feel one bit bad about that.

Perhaps you're right, and to that I say "So what?". There will always be music, as long as there are people who enjoy making music and people who enjoy listening to it. Originally music was marketed by word of mouth, then bands started marketing themselves with paper leaflets after the printing press was finally invented. People would pay to see bands that were good and musicians made a living playing. This was not commercial music as we lknow it today. It wasn't until the advent of the vinyl recod that a formal distribution system becam necessary and I would argue that was the birth of commercial music. As an industry it was necessary to distribute and promote music across a broader ausience than the artists could do themselves.

The internet has made the distribution function of commercial music largely obselete. Now any band can record an album and promote themselves globally from their basement. There is still a need for boking agents to arrainge shows, but that is only a byproduct of commercial music.

I guess my point is that filesharing may well be the death of commercial music, but can't see that as a bad thing.

4. randosome

randosome Banned

As much as I've thought about it:- Although I'm probably never going to buy a CD as long as DRM exists, the music industry does need to make money (i know we all hate them) and piracy is ILLEGAL - there just isn't a defence against it
    However, i do believe if the industry's (game, music & film) changed the way they treat their users, perhaps piracy levels would fall

I mean, why should i go buy BF2142 for full price, while EA earn money off the Ad's, why should i buy WoW and then have to pay a monthly sub
    Make a choice guys, its one or the other, you cant have your cake and eat it and expect users to roll over

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The next step in the music industry would for them to charge HUGE fees to radio stations, MTV, etc. This in turn would lead to more advertising (or higher fees on satellite radio) and eventually kill the medium that way. The old record store would be dead. Concerts would cost a Fortune. Artists / Bands that don't tour like crazy would die out. ...

The death of the music industry as we know it would have to be somewhat planned or the cure might be worse than the disease.

6. doowah

doowah What's a Dremel?

7. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

Well, aint this a pickle. everytime we make the news it is for stuff like this, why cant we make the news because of something good? yes filesharing is a huge issue but it just tears me up that everytime SC makes the news it is for stuff like this. it makes me want to leave this ditchwater state...

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Don't feel bad, CCM, it's true for everywhere. No one wants to hear good news.

9. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

And another reason not to buy/download "Pop Music". They whole thing is just bad for the industry. My favority Artist "T.Raumschmiere" once sad that he dosnt care about if his music gets put on the internet and everyone downloads it. I dont know how it is in other genres but in electronic music artists make there money from Tours and Gig`s.
    Just ban CD`s all toghether and lets go back on Vinyl.
    Makes Copying harder :D

10. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

RIAA/MPAA won't go and submit notices to Stanford. Why? Stanford Law School.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Please do not necro threads like this. It's pointless. If you have something to say about the topic 5 years after it's been discussed, start a new thread. If it doesn't merit a new thread, it probably doesn't merit being said.

Tags: Add Tags