1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Use a broken PS3 as Blu Ray Player?

Discussion in 'Software' started by louist44, 28 Jan 2012.

1. louist44

louist44 New Member

Ok so lets just explain my situation a little bit.

Got a Fat PS3 80GB that died probably 2 years back, but I still have not got round to fixing it, the disc drive / laser no longer works so nothing can be read from discs :( although playing digital games and the like are all fully functional.

Now since we don't have another blu ray player we have not been able to watch any of the blu rays. This gave me the idea of ripping all my blu rays to a 1TB hard drive in my PC and then swapping the hard drives (I doubt 80GB would be enough for many films).

This is of course legal right? since I own the films. It would just end up cheaper buying some software that can rip the film off the disc rather than forking out for either a new ps3, repaired ps3 or blu ray player but just wanted to make sure that it worked.

Thanks

2. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

i don't know english law but in denmark you are free to make backups of any dvd without any hard encryption on it (drm yadda yadda) 'cause thats illegal to crack.

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 New Member

Its legal to rip songs off an album so I dont see why not.

4. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Strangely, in the UK, it is illegal to rip CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray disks.

No one has ever been prosecuted for ripping a CD, but some have been prosecuted for ripping DVDs.

IMO, you should be fine as long as you don't share these ripped copies.

5. louist44

louist44 New Member

oo thanks Blazza, I always assumed that it was fine to make backups but to not rip at all :(

Nope no distribution :)

Cheers for the answers guys

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

they are looking to bring a fair usage and format changing into uk copyright legislation, but technically format change and ripping still illegal, but personal usage is not prosecutable under current legislation, cracking encryption is though.

if you can copy them and make them work without breaking encryption, there is no problem with personal use.

7. ruke

ruke New Member

Hm, if you have a lot of Blu-ray discs wouldn't 1TB hard drive be also too small for your purpose?